Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances to match after an attempt in Step 3. - seekusmle
Dear Colleagues,
I am a Non-US IMG with scores of 228 and 239 in Step 1 and Step 2 CK and passed Step 2 CS, all these exams on the first attempt. My year of graduation is 2015. Last year before the match I had an unfortunate attempt in Step 3. I did not take this exam lighter, and I never do because I know being a visa requiring IMG, if I fail, I have so much at stake. I did everything best to get rid of this exam in my first attempt, but I was not lucky enough on that day. I passed the exam on my second try last year in October 2016 with a score above 200.
I have ten months of United States Clinical Experience, six months of research experience and eight PubMed indexed publications (4 publications first authored). I have oral presentations, poster presentations. I have been active and enterprising in every kind of academic activity possible. Currently, I am working as a research assistant in one of the Ivy League Universities.
This is my second match, and I have no interviews so far. I cannot get over the feeling of incompetence and disappointment as I am not getting interviews. I am so much demoralized you can say. I hoped my hard work would pay off, but I have never been so much disappointed in my life.
I know many of you will see this as foolish and silly, but I want your honest feedback about my chances of matching into Internal Medicine residency. I feel like I do not stand a chance in the USA since the system is designed in such way that I’ll be judged on my one failure in USMLE exam (Step 3 which is not even required by the programs for the residency) and not by my accomplishments and capabilities which I have throughout my academic life.
Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »