Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matched! But... - match_hopeful118
So I have been silently lurking these forums here and studentdoc and have definitely appreciate the content of these forums. I matched this season in IM. Had about 12 interviews which I thought all went well. I am happy that I matched, but it’s where I matched that concerns me. I matched over at UNLV in Nevada. It was my last program on my rank list. I didn’t feel too good about the place to be honest. Residents and staff seem disinterested, I heard there’s no teaching there either. I wasn’t even going to rank it but had to as match>no match. My question is how do I handle being at a place like this for three years where even the staff don’t seem to care? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
make the best of it
work hard
and be motivated by the fact that you will be board certified in a specialty in the usa
A lot of stuff in residency is self learning. The best teacher is the patient. listen to them carefully and work with compassion and passion. That is only thing that matters. Your happiness should not be based on the interest of others. You have a fantastic opportunity that many will die for-remember that
Please be happy and humble your self number one.
Number 2 -do fo what you supoose to do ,take care of the patinets ,avoid gossip ,do not complain ,be polite ,made the attending look good and basically "work like a dog with the mouth shut for 3 years " and you will graduate !!
Be thankful of what you have !
Remember you are IN.. That is what matters.
Work hard, study on your own, and when you think about it, it is only 3 years
Be thankful with the program that gives you the opportunity. It is only 3 years. If you do an excellent work there, you are going to be able to get a great fellowship in any other place.
Are you serious?

"I didn’t feel too good" about the place to be honest. Residents and staff "seem" disinterested, "I heard" there’s no teaching there either.

These are subjective complaints and based on rumors that you heard. Get to know them first. Don't judge them yet. Be grateful they ranked you. You would have been unmatched if not for that program.

I had interviewed there and I got the same vibe you did. But regardless, unlike so many unfortunate individuals on here, you got a spot. Take it, make the best of it and rock your boards. Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »