Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PPD test - kennychan
When first tuberculin skin tests is negative, the next step to repeat the PPD again right? This two-step test is undertaken to identify initial false negatives with history of latent TB. However I am not sure it is correct or not. Please give your opinions and thank you!
Hard to understand what you asking....
For id pat with LTBI, 2 tests currently exist;

- TST
- IGRAs

You should know both have limitations, (Particularly in settings/or group community w high TB &/or HIV prevalence).

IGRA is 'favorable' of screening for LTBI (Pat once & done). On 2 step test pat gone be yo yo ball for visiting. Let say you got pat work i.e homeless shelter or prison or let say health care workers-> U administer TST & -> result in NEG ( less than 10*) -> you repeat w/in 1-4 wks & if + -> you treat. If after repeat TST/-*-> less likely to LTBI ( FN can happen). To treat for NEG LTBI we make it base individual basis even after being NEG.

In step 3 maybe that deep, not CK. I never seen even 3-4 med student can Qs on their rotation lol

Fin.
This is my personal experience from my work place. Once the nurse she told me that she had to the PPD test for the patient again because the initial PPD test for the patient was negative to make sure it was real negative.
What’s the status of pat? I guess you don’t know it either (Your Q is very broad)

As I just explain, nurse repeating it either; pat have close contact with untreated active TB/can be pat immunocompromised OR pat have ongoing potential exp (like health care workers that may work in the same place the nurse working) as I just explained above.

Anyhow even with the 2nd test, its possible come back NEG as just exp above.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »