Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phd or NP - dreamz942
I am an unmatched residency applicant looking into alternate career options. I know this topic has already been discussed in this forum before but I want sincere advice from people who have already done PhD or NP. Which is a better option in terms of secure future,good pay as well as balanced family life? Could somone share their experiences.It would be very helpful for me to decide. (I am mother with two kids). Thanks in advance.
I'm a PhD and from my experience I can say that NP is a way better than PhD. For PhD you will be spending minimum 5 years (few of my friends finished in 7) and after that end up for 2-3 year Postdoc (kind of bonded labor if you end up in the lab in Indian or Chinese).
Advantage of NP: Shorter duration, more jobs, decent salary.
PS: This is my opinion, ultimately you have to decide.
Thank you reticulocyte for sharing your experience. I totally agree with you about the longer duration and the post doc period. I appreciate your timely reply. I will have to lean more towards NP then. Could anyone throw some light on good NP programs in New Jersey. My google search tells Rutgers, Thomas Edison etc. Can somone who has done NP share their experience?
I am not done with any.
But, I did try for PhD. One has to score high in GRE for PhD admission.
I totally agree with reticulocyte. NP is far better than PhD. If you can do RN and Bachelors and then Ms (Ms in Nursing) then go for it. They won't take your bachelors into consideration for bachelors in nursing. You will have to do bachelors in nursing too to become eligible to do Ms in Nursing to become NP. It's sill better than PhD.
Thank you for your reply optimisticpositive. The program (PhD Microbiology which I was appling did not require TOEFL/GRE. But still I guess I will have to go the NP route.But I am not sure about which prerequisites to take. Cost is a factor too.Accelerated programs are expensive. Th website says Greencard/Citizen for Instate Tuition which is less compared to Outstate. Thanks again for your valuable suggestions. Anyone having done NP please give your suggestions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »