Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Statement with AI a Match Violation?!
Exclamation 
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]I'm freaking out about my personal statement and experiences on ERAS.  I had it all done, but my uncle that is an APD at a NY program showed me a letter they got at programs regarding AI and personal statements as a Match violation. Does ANYONE know how to get past the AI detection for PS?! [/font]

I am not a native [font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]English[/font] speaker and of course I have to use AI so they can understand me, this isn't fair.  How do they figure out if we used chat-get or one of the other ones?!  I did the Grammarly and it says that 87% of my ps is AI-Generated! Please help.

Copy/Pasting the LETTER BELOW:

*******Immediate Action Required: Integrity Screening for Residency Applications Using AI-Generated Content, Black Flag Recommendations********

08/31/2024

Subject: Integrity Screening for Residency Applications Using AI-Generated Content

Purpose: Upholding Professionalism and Integrity in the 2025 Match Cycle

Dear Program Directors,

As we prepare for the 2025 NRMP Match cycle, it is essential to address a critical issue concerning the use of artificial intelligence (AI) in personal statements and residency application materials. In partnership with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) is issuing this directive to ensure the continued integrity and professionalism of the residency selection process.

We have observed that during the previous Match cycle, a number of applicants, particularly international medical graduates (IMGs), were not properly screened before interviews. This led to unqualified candidates, who had used AI to generate or enhance their application materials, being offered interview slots. It was only during the interview process that significant discrepancies between their personal statements and their verbal abilities became apparent. This contributed to a higher-than-expected Do Not Rank (DNR) rate, as program directors discovered that the written content did not reflect the candidates’ true qualifications. To prevent such issues from recurring, we recommend the following comprehensive screening process.

A. Preliminary Screening (Prior to Interview)

Residency programs are advised to implement the following pre-interview screening measures to ensure authenticity and avoid offering interview slots to unqualified applicants:

1. AI and Plagiarism Detection
• Utilize an approved AI detection tool such as Turnitin AI Detector to identify potentially AI-generated content.
• Employ plagiarism detection tools like Unicheck to verify originality. Secondary checks using Grammarly may be utilized but should not be the primary method.
These initial screenings are designed to catch inconsistencies early in the process, preventing the admission of applicants who rely on external tools to present themselves inaccurately.
2. Initial Consistency Screening (Phone Call)
• Conduct an initial phone call to assess whether the applicant’s verbal communication skills, including tone and fluency, match the writing style of their personal statement. This is especially important for IMGs, where discrepancies in English proficiency or tone may indicate AI or external assistance.
This step addresses the issues experienced in the previous cycle, where candidates with strong written materials but weak verbal communication skills were discovered too late in the process, leading to wasted interview opportunities.

B. Screening During the Interview

Once the applicant reaches the interview stage, additional measures should be employed to confirm the authenticity of their personal statement and application materials:

3. In-Depth Interview Screening
• During the formal interview, interviewers should ask follow-up questions based on the personal statement. This helps verify if the applicant can accurately recount their experiences without hesitation or inconsistencies. Significant differences in fluency, tone, or narrative detail should be noted.
4. On-the-Spot Writing Sample
• Require the applicant to submit a brief writing sample during the interview. Ask them to respond to a question related to their clinical experience, ethics, or motivation for residency. Comparing this real-time writing sample with their personal statement will highlight any significant inconsistencies.
5. Behavioral-Based Situational Judgment Test (SJT)
• Consider incorporating a situational judgment test (SJT) to evaluate the applicant’s decision-making, ethical reasoning, and communication. Presenting real-world clinical or ethical scenarios can help assess if their stated experiences align with their actual problem-solving and professional behavior.

C. Consequences of AI-Detected Submissions

As discussed during the NRMP’s Transition to Residency Conference, program directors have the authority to “black flag” candidates for submitting AI-generated or misrepresented content. The consequences include:

1. Immediate withdrawal from the Match process.
2. Ineligibility for future residency cycles.
3. A permanent notation in the applicant’s NRMP file, accessible to all future programs.

Black-flagging is reserved for serious breaches of integrity, and programs suspecting AI 4444or misrepresentation should document discrepancies and report them to the NRMP. Section 8: Fraudulent or Dishonest Behavior of the NRMP policy permits permanent disqualification for misrepresentation.

Conclusion:
We strongly urge all residency programs to implement these screening protocols to uphold the integrity of the Match process. The misuse of AI and the falsification of application materials undermine the fairness of the process, and it is our collective responsibility to safeguard its integrity.

For any questions or concerns, please contact us at policy@nrmp.org.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »