Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To joewest! -
nms

Hi:
I really read your comment regarding pathology residency.My question is :
I am a recent graduate of 2002 and I have 2 months of USCE with 3 USLOR.I need visa.
Regarding my scores I GOT SCORES OF 89/88 NOW, is it just b/c I am 1 point below the 90+ edge I will not get any interviews.
BTW I am applying for IM programs and regarding the 90+ scores I have read in a website(csa-notes.com)that good scores start from 88-99 not 90+.And I saw many people in this forum and other forums who got many interviews and prematches with high 80`s scores!I am waiting your reply!!thanx
ab

Do you mean 85-87 are bad?
joewest

Hi,
If you REALLY read my message, you notice that I clearly stated that matching is not mathematics. Once you get interviews, 90 is no different than 88 or 89, there are no rules about this, it's just common sense. The only difference would be that some programs have arbitrary cutoff scores which are used to screen canditates for interviews. Cutoffs are usually 80 or 85. A few programs have cutoff of 90, and you would probably be excluded from those, unless you know somebody inside the program (coordinator, PD's etc).
Other that this cutoff crap, once you get interviews, small score differences don't matter.
"Good scores" is a very nonespecific term. If it means "minimum scores for an FMG to get a few interviews for IM or path in a noncompetitive place", you're talking about low 80's. "To have a chance at good university programs without any contacts", probably 90-95. I interviewed at top university IM programs around the country, and all FMG's I've met so far had scores of 95+. Community hospitals are a completely different story. For path, things are probably similar, as the competitiveness of path is comparable to that of IM.
Your scores are good enough for you to get several interviews, maybe in very good institutions if you have publications, contacts, LOR's etc. Just don't expect to stant out of the crowd based on your scores. You'll need to do well on your interviews.
Having said that, I think you're doing the right thing. You got your USCE and hopefully good LOR (average LOR will not help). You have a chance in most places, and I'd say very good chances at the institution where you did your rotations, if, off course, they liked you.
Sorry if I din't stick to the hypocritical "everything is going to be fine" phylosophy that seems to predominate in this forum. I prefer to be realistic.
If you need any more advice, just ask. I'll help with evth I can.

Good luck
nms

Hi joewest:
So, based on this what is my chance to match in acommunity,average program since I dont have a big chance in university programs.I beleive that everyone has his own goals and my goal is to match in any hospital in the USA for IM!!
joewest

How many interviews did you get this year? Where (what kind of hospital)? I'm sorry, I thought you were applying for Path.
Based on what I already know about your credentials, your chances of matching in IM somewhere are very good. Give me more info, is your english good? any publications? how are your LOR's (are the "magic words" in there?)
Off course, being this far into the game this year, it's very easy to assess your chances based on the number of interviews you had and well things went.
nms

Hi joewest:
I have 3 USLOR and I think they are good.I dont know what do u mean by majic words but for example one of them which I took from the director of cardiology department at baylor college of medicine says"Mr.----- performance was outstanding,superior to most medical students that visit us from outside and including our own students".I dont have research exp. unfortunately.
My important question to you joewest, this discussion and all u have mentioned about hospital req. are u speaking about university hospitals only or u include also community programs??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »