Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research opportunity? -
bhavin - bkaalu@indiatimes.com

this is a mind blowing reply. Thank god now i will never ever go for research position
ss

Hi friends, I agree with the friend who says its better than sitting at home. I am doing an unpaid research right now although I am also totaly agree with our first friend that says it is totally useless. And Believe me, I dont think the person who I am working for evev can write a LOR, but again, it's better than sitting at home useless, jobless, hopeless and disparate. Sometimes it's a really good thing to forget our completely unclear future.
Diya

Thanks evreybosy for the replies.Well I do understand that nobody should work unpaid but then anything is better than sitting at home....Being in research atleast gives you something to do..first thing the satisfaction of doing something related to medicine plus you wont have gaps in the CV when you apply for the residency next year.Well actually I am waiting for the match but because I apllied late & had a very few interviews not really hopeful about it...the scramble ofcourse is there but everybody says its just sheer luck or "pull" at right places which gets you a position in scramble.Lets see..keeping my fingers crossed.Good luck to everybody here.
britishdoc

i disgaree with a some of the points made here:

but first I agree do not lose your dignity whatever happens..

however think critically what can be gained from research:
in the US fellowships are given on the basis of the research you have done..... fellowships are also given to those that the department know about...
furthermore if you are enrolled as a volunteer into an institution then whilst you are not paid ..you do have access to all the facilities that the institution has to offer...
in my case I am doing volunteer research at Yale ..i now have access to all the resources that Yale has to offer..furthermore I can attend lectures etc....finally I chose a clinical doctor with whom to do research..and hopefully that will lead to a good LOR when I apply for fellowship

I think that a lot of people forget that education costs a lot of money in the US and that some of the fringe benefits you get whilst doing research are actually quite valuable... also you have something to put in your CV... again dont forget that everybody around you has done step 1,2,3... what is going to set you apart...

obviously try and get paid if you can, but if you cant I dont think you should see yourself as part of the subjugated hords of IMGs out there. rather think of it as an investment in your future...just be careful when you apply to make sure you have access to all the things I have mentioned if you are not going to be paid

I can be emailed at chiangsiau1 for any other advice

GL
britishdoc
img - docimg2003

I agree with you britishdoc, and believe me doing research is not at all usefull, the bigest gain would be getting into fellowship once you are done with your residency as research increases your chance considerably and sets you a step ahead other IMGs, in fact many american grads as well as IMGs do some research before getting into fellowship especially GI and Cardiology... noe let's get back to residency, research will definitely help you get a position, I am actually doing clinical research in a good hospital I got several interviews in internal medicine eventhough I have low scores, by chance I read the LOR that one of the doctors wrote me, it was an exellent letter and believe me it makes a difference in your application, I also wrote some papers as a first author.... my advice is if you have a chance to do research go for it even if it increases your chances by 10% in getting a residency it is still better than sitting around doing nothing.
absolutlely yes to research

Totally agree with all pro research advice. Its fun and its a great way to distinguish yourself when you apply for residency, fellowship or jobs. It is never undignified if you chose your chief investigator well and get involved in a worthwhile study. If you need money (most of us do :-) try to get a grant.... there are many many grant options once you define your research with your team you can try to get a grant/fellowship payment for it.
Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »