Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme - pth
59 year old comes to a physician with fatigues, maliase,and anorexia since losing his job 3 months ago. Serumy-glutamyltra..(GGT) activity is increased. Which of the following is most approriate to initiate a discussion about his use of alcohol

a. do you think you are a problem drinker

b.how much do u drink in a typical week

c. is there something you haven't told me so far

d. what is your favorite drink

e. you are not a drinker, are you?
b ?
BB
bbbbb
ok...for some reason i feel like this is a trick question....
typically, i would go with B....but the thing is that most people who are alcoholics or addicted to any substance in general are very good at hiding it....there is deception....so i don't think that asking the question will get an honest answer....here in Egypt, when we ask a patient about smoking history, for example, we usually know that the patient is lying about how much they smoke and know that it is prob more than what they say.....

i think that the answer might be D....you may be able to draw the patient into a conversation about alcohol without posing a question which they will avoid....also, most alcoholics tend to be into hard liqour so that may be a hint...and so continuing in the conversation will help clarify things....

i may be reading too much into this question, and it might just be straightforward....
anyone?
acc to me answer shd be C..Its an open ended ques n will extract max information frm the pt..
yup c
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »