Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you care about people? then help me. -
nancy - meand2004

I came here to US 2 years ago and until now could not study for step one.I graduated 3 years ago. and i had money problems.and in the other hand i really afried to fail the exams.there is alot of stress on me.I cannot sleep and work.I feel so dissapointed.and my family and friends just keep asking when i pass my board.so please help me.

1-How long i have to study for step one ?
2-When can i be sure that i can pass the first step?
3-Do you know a good study schadul,ican use?
4-How many hours i have to study every day?
5-How many different books and materials i have to read aday?
6-How many days i have to study a week?

thank you. meand2004
Hamidi

First of all u need to calm down.A little stress is good to stay motivated but too much wud disable ur brain's capacity.After coolin down, sit down with pen and paper and
see how much time u can spare for ur studies.
What step u want to take first
What book do u need
And plan it all out.
Most importantly DONOT do it cz ur family/friends are asking u , but do it for ur self
There are people who can study 10+ hrs and people who can spare couple of hr/day( and a lot of days or weeks of not studying at all ) like myself.U need to see what percentage of ur available time u r utilizing. Give it ur best time and effort and once u start u'll know how much time u need.
Don't panic, relax and take few days to come up to a decision.
May God help u.
Hedi

I graduated 7 years ago ( and then did a residency course in Radiology). I studied 6 months (7-8 hours per day.6 days per week) from the Kaplan lecture notes.They are really good just be sure to understand them completely- in the cases that you don't complement the material with another source.You don't need to buy any other books as good sources can be found on the internet for free (eg.some University departments have class material on the web).Use a search engine for finding sites for IUSMLE material.
You'll need to read the notes over 2-4 times. The first couple of times they may not make sense but stick to it.
THen there are the Q book and Q Bank (both from Kaplan) to answer. If you answer more than 75-80% on the Q BANK ( in the first round ofcourse not in your 2nd /3rd attempt)you are ready for the exam.For eg in my case I got 82% correct in the Q BANK and in the actual exam got a 99.If you are aiming for a lower score well your % in the Q BANK could be lower.
Also check out the usmle.net forum .It is very active and you can get good tips there.
Keep your cool and know that you may be in for a gruelling 6 months but it's well worth it. If you practice well for STEP 1 ,STEP 2 will be easy sailing !
Good luck and God BLESS.
nancy - meand2004

Hi Hedi thank you for your good advices.you say i can check myself by answering Q.BANK (in the first round)When i have to take these questions?
taks - Taks911

Hi hedi, I did Q bank , my final average is 74 % , I 've one month to go for exam .Can u tell me if u got above 80 % most of the time as in my case I ranged from 56 to 86 with average 66 initially then 80 in the last , I think it was because they had lot of behavioural genetics and ana in start which i have not prepared well. Please tell about your experience .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »