maxillary sinus, what is the most likely complication
if untreated ?

-Purulent meningitis

-Ethmoidal sinusitis

-Orbital cellulitis

-Frontal sinusitis
purulent meningitis...
frontal sinusitis??

woo these qs are tough... victory1 must be awesomely intelligent to answer these... good for u victory.. thanks for the qs
why not ethmoidal sinusitis. the opening of the ethmoidal sinus is nearer compared to frontal
sinus...

for that matter why not orbital cellulitis .. due to spread of infection from the roof of maxillary sinus in to the orbit
confused....... somebody clear this cloud....
what about orbital cellulitis?
i think B.....Because other sinuses, such as the maxillary and frontal sinuses, drain into this area, disruption in the mucociliary secretions passage in this area can obstruct those sinuses, also, leading to more fulminant disease
In general, patients with acute ethmoid sinusitis usually present with mild-to-moderate degrees of malaise. A discharge from the nares may be present, the nasal mucosa and turbinates may be edematous and hyperemic, and a purulent discharge may be present. Erythema of the nasopharynx and oropharynx can be present. Patients will often develop a low-grade fever and possibly a headache. The WBC count is usually not elevated unless a systemic cause for the sinusitis is involved. As the sinusitis progresses, pain usually increases over the ethmoidal area; however, the pain can be referred to the medial orbital and eye area and brow areas.
I think he has already ethmoidal sinusitis. They ask for complication if untreated. I go with Orbital cellulitis
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »