Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what after a transitional year?? - learner
skindeep..... where are you?? please reply soon
Learner, havent heard from skindeep, have u? has he/she emailed u? i dont have his/her email, but have made a separate post for him/her...hope he/she replies soon...
Learner, im an IMG (u.s. citizen), 79/81/awaiting CS result and ecfmg cert, have done 4 months of observerships in an IM residency (geisinger in danville, pa); will be applying for 07 match, mostly TY programs...what about u? your creds? and what are u currently doing? observership/externship/research? if so, where?...
Hi habib and learner,

What ever skindeep said its not transitional year but its preliminary year resid. prem need for branches like neuro, radio, rad onc, ortho, ophthal. so you will join next year your choice prog you have matched before.
Transitional year people do who is not sure about what to do in life.... the take transitional year and rotate in different dept and let themselves know where to go in future. After that they will apply in the faculty they liked most during transitional year.
Hope this helps.
Okay, so somebody said that transitional years are very competitive. Is this the same for the preliminary year?

What about preliminary years in different specialties? Is it still more difficult to get a preliminary year in surgery than in medicine?

Similar to what somebody just said in this post, I've known people not matching for categorical surgery but matching for a preliminary 1 year surgery, and then finding a PGY2 position the next year.
dr habib

i'm from india. 90in step1 /cs result pending. taking step2 in october. hope to be certified in november. no USCE but i plan to do a month or so in october. i will try my luck with 07 match and see what i can get, if i get anything. one week left for the cs result... lets hope for the best. how did yours go by the way? mine wasn't too fab...

to mdoc- in order to apply for opthalmology... do you have to take a medicine or surgery prelim year or is it the same? and as you said that you do a prelim year and then automatically shift to the residency you matched the previous year? how is it possible to match to 2 programs... TY and a residency both?
also could you tell us more about the TY and how it works. how do you apply for a residency after doing a transitional year? and yes as proton has asked... what is the level of competition in each?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »