Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low score, any hope? - house80
Hi!

I already over 40 y/d and got low score. Step1-79, step2ck-88. Not yet take CS. I had more than 4 years clinic experience in other country. 10 years research experience and lots publications. No visa problem. Do you think I need to continue my CS? How much chance I can get match?

Thanks
hey,why are you asking people what you should do...you need to have a dream/plan fr your life what and where you would like to end up...

you are done with the steps so on and finish it...you make up for them with your research and safe status...so why are you hesitating??
you definetely need to do some research on which hospitals/programs take people like you...
what specialty are yougoing for?i know that texas tech el paso prefers older doctors with some experience...

i wish you more persistence and you'll be OK.
good luck !!!
Hi! Exam:

Thanks for ur msg. Yes, I'd have my own plan and try my best.

My research related to cancer and wish for IM specialty.

Hey house80, you should read this. I copied it from another forum:

To all of you people with low scores, don't lose hope. I visited this site a few times, so thought I'd post something back.

77/89/pass/failed once, 2000 grad. Got 7 interviews, 4IM, 3FP. Attended 2IM and 1FP, was offered prematch in One IM and one FP, took prematch in IM at a good community hospital with fellowships. Cancelled the other 4 interviews. 9 months USCE and good Basic Research Experience, had 3 publications. Got step3 result (80/197)3 days ago after signing prematch, so it didn't help for prematch.

So, nothing is impossible. Hang in there and do what you have to. I don't wnat to say its easy, rather its the opposite. I had to go through $hit to get to where I am now. I have no family, no money, was a student. Last time I didn't apply for residency because I didn't have enough money. Hard work pays guys, guarenteed.......

I dont want to go about giving lectures onhow to go about doing it, because most people here know what to do, there is lot of stuff on this site which is helpful and I dont have anything extra to add. But I will be glad if this post can help at least one person get inspired and motivated from my story.

Road to residency in this country is full of despair. It is getting hard every day, some fall, but only ones with heart and courage to fight succeed. So, my friends, which side you want to be? Doesn't matter which stage you are in, pick up your ruins and start fresh with new vigor. Failed exams multiple times, tyr another time, no USCE make contacts get some, no money work your $utt off. Nobody is going to pity you, nobody offers you residency, yo uhave to work for it. I had to go to school, study my course work(have a master now), do research, do observership, work part time to earn money, and study for USMLEs all at the same time. Got crap from a lot of people that I can't do it. If I did it, so can you.

THis quote from BATMAN BEGINS," It is not who you are from within, but what you do that defines you", I made it my own in every sense. The world has awakened to a new realization; there is no place for soft-spoken, good-mannered, innocent, and sensitive people. You have to be smart, rugged, highly motivated, extremely goal oriented, no stopping till you acheive what you want. If you slow down, there are thousands, maybe millions who are ready to overtake you to the finsh. It is cruel, but its reality.

"Every morning a gazelle wakes up in Africa, it knows that it has to run as fast as it can or it gets killed. Every morning a lion wakes up in Africa, it knows that it has to run as fast as it can or it dies of starvation. So, my friend, it doens't matter if you are the gazelle or the lion, you better be running when the sun rises tomorrow".

Good luck and God Bless.

I have 77 in step 1 4 attemps 78 on first attemp, good LORs USA, 2 years research experience, publications, H-1 Visa, graduated from 1998.

Got 4 INTERVIEWS
So never lose your hopes!!!!!
Everybody told me how impossible it could be for me to get an interview and I got 4 so everything is possible.
2 pediatrics
2 IM
And waiting for another one!!!
Report Abuse

you have a strong cv plus your good step 2 score. I know many people with scores lower than you who got positions in IM, pathology, pediatrics and FP. I think you have a very good chance to get a position if you choose your programs wisely. Send email to them and try to make a list from programs that you meet their criteria (I'm sure you will find plenty of them). Go ahead and take your step2cs.
"Every morning a gazelle wakes up in Africa, it knows that it has to run as fast as it can or it gets killed. Every morning a lion wakes up in Africa, it knows that it has to run as fast as it can or it dies of starvation. So, my friend, it doens't matter if you are the gazelle or the lion, you better be running when the sun rises tomorrow".

I like that!
Yes,I really like that!!!
Thanks ,guys , for that messages. I never see you , but i feel that a lot of terrific people around me
To kinkiwinki,

If u don't mind sharing with us the programs which invited you for interview since they seem not to be demanding..This may help lots of people who have similar situations...If you don't want to share them now, at least after the match ends...Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »