Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solv ethis problem - jovana
26. A 58-year-old male with a history of smoking presents with weight loss, cough, and mental confusion. A centrally mass is noted on a chest x-ray. Laboratory studies reveal the following:
a. Serum sodium 115 mEq/L
b. Serum chloride 81 mEq/L
c. Serum potassium 3.0 mEq/l
d. Serum bicarbonate 20 mEq/L
e. Random urine sodium 100 mEq/L ( < 20 mEq/L)

27. What is your diagnosis?
a. Diabetes insipidus
b. Nephrogenic diabetes
c. SIADH
d. Psychogenic polydipsia
c.
options are not appropriate..
because this mass could lead to an ectopic hormone production..
only one option has this possibility.. c
rest dont even match this q??
what is your opinion KASHMALA??
this Q similar to one of the NBME q i did long time ago.ans shud be C as u can c all lab values have come down cuz of excess ADH..wat i din get is Na excretion of 100meq/L
26. c- dilutional hyponatremia
27. c.
c.
SIADH is reght ...
and Na is high because ADH promote absorption of WATER AND UREA .... NO ELECTROLYTES ARE ABSORBED SO CONCENTRATION OF Na in urine increases.....
Collegues I am trying to post ypou good questions ,NOT to compete..remember that...
I have a busy life as it is running a busniss, being a mom and in top of that trying to do this online.
I am NOT in ahurry to take step 1 beacsue I have pther priorities in the moment..but I am trying to help you and keep my self up to date..
so let focus on this CONCEPTS, not about this and that OK ?
The answer is innapropriete beacsue FIRST H/o of SMOKING, wt LOSS, cough suggest og Lung Ca and WHEN you see the NA -hypoinatremia then you think ..aha ...paraneoplastic syndrom such this on ecan secrete ectopic hormons lik ein this case ADH , we are saying ectopic beacsue this ADH primary is not secreted from the tumor rigth, and then increase ADH by definition is =SIADH and VOILA...............
Voard question big time for STEP 1 and STEP 2
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »