Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is PREMATCH a threat to AMGs? - stockton
I read in another forum that AMGs are not so happy with prematching that IMGS usually get. I think they are not entitled to it until they are considered graduates. They even boast that only low quality candidates were match to low quality programs. Maybe someday they might push a move to totally eliminate prematching.

1. How possible is it to completely abolish a prematching process?
2. Do you think prematching is a must or a must not?
I think we can all understand the AMG's concern. Certainly from thier point of view, the pre-match is not fair b/c US Med Student's are not entitled to it (although there are a few exceptions in which AMG's are entitled). Overally, I think have the whole residency system is designed in favour of USMed Student's & AMG's...so in honesty they don't have to really worry about competing with IMG's.

However, there are IMG's out there who are exceptionally brilliant people and these IMG's are very competitive for programs like MGH, Duke etc...and so once again, I can see the AMG's concern.

I'm not sure why the pre-match was created. But I can certainly the benefits of prematch for programs:
1. "LOW PROGRAMS" - these programs are not very popular with AMG's and so they will inevitably go unMatched if all Medical Graduates were to go through the Match. The prematch will benefit these programs the most, allowing them to aquire excellent IMG's.
2. ALL PROGRAMS: - there are many IMG's out there who need visa's, either H1-B's or J-1's. The processing time for these visas is variable. In some circumstances, the preMatch allows an IMG to apply for the visa and therefore begin residency in July

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS:
1. It is possible, b/c the Match is designed by the confederation of residency programs. It is the same confederation which allows for the PreMatch.
2. yes, the PreMatch is beneficial to ALL programs.
no. not at all. pre-match is absolutely not a threat to AMGs. first of all, look at the programs that offer pre-match - low profile. those programs can not draw AMGs attention. they have to strugle to get good IMGs to fill their positions. remember, a PD would rather give a position to an AMG who is 75/75 with multiple attempts than an IMG with 99/99 all first attempt. US system is designed for AMGs. they use IMGs to fill the positions that AMGs dont want.
besides, i dont believe 99ers.
dude....us AMGs dont care about prematch...AMGs get into america's best programs...that an IMG will never even know about....

only some weak us grads like the osteopathic DO docs.....maybe they may mind....since IMGs are more stronger applicants.
All AMGs match so I dont see what they need to be worried about.And the very few who do not match get a spot in the scramble.

I found that almost all programs offer pre-match are low program, and have quite a few or even no AMG apply to them, so pre-match is not a problem with AMG at all.
whats ur point? will it affect ur chance if they do or not. its ur credentials thats important and dont wory about others its not for u to decide
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »