Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is the ECFMG certificate is valid - doctorgood9
I know that all the steps need to be completed within 7 years, other wise even the completed steps need to be taken again.

Could some one please tell me once all the steps are completed and ECFMG certificate has been issued, how long is it valid?

Is there any limited period of time (expiry period of ECFMG certificate) before which we need apply for residencies?

Thank you
ECFMG certificate is valid indefinitely but be aware that all steps (icluding step 3) must be completed within 7 yrs of passing whichever step u started with. If u have the certificate and have passed step 3 then u are done with USMLE for good.
One more thing, even though theoritically u can get into residency with your ECFMG certificate the longer u wait the harder it will be to secure a spot unless u have high level contacts. Remember the "old grad" disadvantage. But legally there is no longer any "expiration period" for the ECFMG certificate with regard to applying for residency.

Hope this helps.
Hi once u get ECFMG certified , your certificate never expires.But u have to take step 1, 2 and cs within a 7 yr period.This does not apply to old grads before 1998 still they have to complete steps 1 and step 2 within 7 yrs and have passed english exam.But if you have to get a license most state requires that u complete step1,2,3 within 7 yr period.hope this helps.
Thank you very much emmy and strongmind

Your reply is really helpful

Wish you all the success and God Bless
I hope I got it clear. So once u r ECFMG certified, you dont have to repeat the particular step after 7yrs. So except for the struggle of being an old grad, I wont have to repeat any of the steps even after 7 yrs ONCE I AM ECFMG CERTIFIED. pl correct me if i am wrong. thanks
Yes, u are right.but keep in mind that if u want to get a license in a state which has 7 yr rule, u have to repeat ur steps.For the purpose of residency training ur ECFMG certificate is good.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »