Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality behind prelim G.S scramble... - f9
I DONT WANT TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE BUT alot of ppl are trying to apply in Prelim G.S in scramble but i have seen this for 3-4 years that its rare to match in scramble for G.S prelim because most of the seats have been left unmatched DELIBERATELY by the programs as most surgery programs dont want alot of prelim candidates. The proof of this is every year you see near 300-350 seats empty AFTER scramble (as shown on match outcome) even when 2-3 times more number of applicants on prelim positions in G.S.

I think the best chance on scramble is Prelim F.P > Prelim Medicine > categorical I.M

I AM POINTING OUT THIS FACT BECAUSE THERE WILL BE A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME GUYS AND UTILIZE IT WHERE IT IS WORTH IT.
If someone is really eager to get in on G.S prelim ............. i wish all the best, but dont take me wrong.
will they give H1 possible on prelim G.S who have matched or in scramble ??
I agree with you f9. My understanding about the whole issue is those seats are basically left open for AMG if they don't have any other place to go not for IMG or FMGs any way.
That is true. I have matched a Pre. G.S. position since I wanted to be a surgeon, which was what I did in my past. During the interviews, I was told by one of the residents many slots in some programs were left vacant on purpose because the PDs donit want too many Pre. G.S residents.
I also agree to all of you .......... just after match there were nearly 450 prelim G.S positions left as usual and only 100 left when scramble started for IMGs, that means most of them have been given to AMGs. Even in scramble we have not heard on the forum that someone got G.S prelim ( exceptions can be there)............ On prelim (both G.S and I.M) and transitional, AMGs are heavily favoured either through match or scramble. The reason why it has become difficult to find a prelim G.S position on merit in a university program.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »