Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retaking steps - donnabade
Please help: Can one retake the USMLEs ? I passed a long time ago-in 1997 and 1999. PLease I do need a factual answer
Try the following websites: www.NBME.org; www.FSMB.org; www.ECFMG.org

You will find information that will be helpful and accurate for your particular journey. Typically your exams expire in 7 years and candidates have to retake them. But doublecheck these websites carefully and look at the expiration dates for various states.
if had got it right, this so called "within 7yrs" limitation holds good for ECFMG certification..........i.e., to get ECFMG certified, the qualifying exams Step1, 2 ck and cs should all be within 7yrs of the first exam taken...but once the candidate is ECFMG certified, therez no way that scores can be changed i suppose..............but then this is all what i understood.......as suggested in the above post,,those sites would be the correct info....
I am ECFMG certifed with a valid indefinitely stamp on my certificate. I have been in residency programs so my certificate cannot expire. But I want IM. I completed steps 1,2ck and cs and 3 in 9 years with scores in the 70s. This is why I want to retake them for high scores and to be within a 7 year limit for liscencing in most states and be compettitive for I.M

Please advise
hi donnabade, thank you for replying to my post, I also post my reply there,you can check it...
this is from usmle.org:
"If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with the time limit of a medical licensing authority for the completion of all Steps or a requirement imposed by another authority recognized by the USMLE program for this purpose. The medical licensing or other authority must provide information indicating that you are applying to retake the passed Step or Step Component in order to comply with its requirement. If you are repeating a Step or Step Component because of a time limit, you may apply to retake the examination only after the applicable time limit has expired. "
this is the complete one:
"If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with the time limit of a medical licensing authority for the completion of all Steps or a requirement imposed by another authority recognized by the USMLE program for this purpose. The medical licensing or other authority must provide information indicating that you are applying to retake the passed Step or Step Component in order to comply with its requirement. If you are repeating a Step or Step Component because of a time limit, you may apply to retake the examination only after the applicable time limit has expired.

An exception to the policy of requiring the time limit to expire before applying to retake a previously passed Step or Step Component can be granted if, at the time of application and testing:

you are currently enrolled in an LCME- or AOA- accredited medical school program leading to the
MD or DO degree;
you have previously passed Step 1 and/or Step 2 but have not passed Step 3;
you are expected to graduate from the medical school program six or more years after the date
you first passed Step 1 and/or Step 2; and
you are otherwise eligible to retake the examination.
The number of attempts allowed to pass each Step or Step Component and the time allowed to complete all Steps vary among jurisdictions. To obtain specific information, you should contact the medical licensing authority in the jurisdiction where you intend to apply for medical licensure or the FSMB."

I couldn't understand what do they mean in "exception" part, what is your idea about it?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »