Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
observership --- Waste of time and money ? - zeba1
Many programs DONT consider research and observership

Also how will u prove that u did observership at end of it while applying for programs?
Zeba honey something is always better than nothing...Its specially true for people who have CV's with no clinical experience US or otherwise, big gap after graduation and no work experience anywhere. WHat they gonna talk about in their interview? Ofcourse its better to have HANDS on experience but its extremely hard to get. We should all try hard to get that but meanwhile grab any opportunity that comes in our way. Goodluck
step2ck makes a good point, BUT it also depends on the program you're applying to.

I can tell you what the GME director of northshore said, when I asked about observerships:

"We don't look favorably on observerships. Because you don't really do anything substantial, in them"

Observerships are useless
there are several factors to decide why a candidate matched or went unmatched. Our job is to have as many facotrs as possible on our side.........and research/observership is just one of them.
SO DONT BECOME JUDGEMENTAL SO SOON!
zeba,

check out this thread on practical observership points, made by vitriol, hope it sheds more light for you:

www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=176479

Zeba,

Obsevership is a oppurtunity to make contacts , use it as a ladder to go to the next level . I was like you too , after taking my USMLEs I stated knocking doors . I got obsevership at a University level hospital , not much you would say .There I met a proff who liked me and gave me his research work . I got a publication .This was non payed. Used it to get a full time research position in a university center.Applied in 2007 matched into residency . Did I mention some odd jobs for some odd people in between .Every one has to fight for their dreams.Do not think that you have a small oppurtunity but , what you can do with that small oppurtunity is what matters most.
Zeba I agree with you because I am a prime example of someone who did both observership & research & didnt match Sad

I think what counts most is recent clinical experience, sincere contacts who dont stab you in the back and high scores. Rest is really BS.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »