Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
adpkd - ketty
Q. A 30-year-old white woman comes to the office for a periodic health evaluation. At this visit she asks you about a DNA test that she has heard about that can detect the presence of the adult polycystic kidney disease (APKD) gene in asymptomatic carriers. She has a family history of APKD. She has had no symptoms. Her blood pressure is normal, and renal ultrasound 2 months ago was normal. Serum creatinine concentration obtained 2 months ago was 0.9 mg/dL. Before obtaining blood for this test, it is important to explain to this patient that a positive test result would mean which of the following?

A

) She is certain to develop renal failure

B

) She may be eligible for disability

C

) She may have difficulty obtaining life insurance in the future

D

) She should avoid becoming pregnant

E

) She should be monitored for development of liver disease
e,
is it A:
i think its A.
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is an inherited kidney disease (with autosomal dominant inheritance -- if one parent carries the gene, statistically 50% of the children will develop kidney disease) with formation of multiple clusters of cysts on the kidneys. The exact mechanism that triggers kidney cyst formation is known.

I think answer is A
Progressive loss of kidney function is one of the most serious complications of polycystic kidney disease. Nearly half of those with the disease have kidney failure by age 60, and about 60 percent will have kidney failure by age 70.

When come to pregnancy 80 % will have uneventful pregnancy

If she is asymptomatic she is not eligible for disability

Insurance always does not cover prexixting conditions so this is not.

Liver cysts develop with age but not life dysfunction from it is very rare.

So answer I think is A

i also choose a.
I think the ans. is E. A indicate that the certainty of kidney failure is 100%. If she is +ve we ought to monitor for liver dz.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »