Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Reh - ben
I have not found anything clear cut about Rx while awaiting results except this.

If you need to be tested for strep throat, the choice between a rapid strep test and a throat culture may not be clear. It may be helpful to discuss with your health professional the Advantages and Disadvantages of the Test. For instance, results from a rapid strep test are available within 10 to 15 minutes, while results from a throat culture may take 1 to 2 days. However, a throat culture is more accurate.
¢ A negative rapid strep test result can mean there are no strep bacteria present. However, the rapid strep test can give negative results even when strep bacteria are present (False Negative test results). If the rapid strep test result is negative but strep throat is still suspected, your health professional may order a throat culture to verify the results.
¢ If the rapid strep test result is positive, a throat culture is not needed. Antibiotic treatment can be started right away, reducing the length of time (by about 8 hours) that you are sick and contagious
Thanx...let me add more

Strep Test has sesitivity >90 these days

all strep Test -ve should be followed up with culture....thats important next step after -ve strep test....what about antiobiotic here...should we wait until for culture result or should start antibiotic after taking culture???

According to CMDT 2007...it says no concensus so far..But indirectly it says that dont start antibiotic until culture result....that was ur question some days back..so I hope its clear now
thx reh appreciate ur input & time and will go by the info you gave
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »