Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Categorical vs preliminary - hawaiiangirl98
Question 1: I want to do IM, and I know that categorical is 3 years while preliminary is 1 year. How should I decide which one to go for?

Question 2: how many programs should I apply for? My friend said he'll apply to 100 programs (which is about 2 grand), the difference between us is I am a US citizen while he needs a visa. Given the fact that I am a citizen and have 2 years of US clinical rotations, should I spend 2 grand on the application to apply to 100 programs? (my credentials: step 1 80, 2 attempts; step 2 82, 2 attempts, CS passed 1st attempt).

Thanks for your help
1. If you want IM, then apply for categorical and get straight three years. Why do you want to take preliminary and have to find a position the second year? Preliminary is designed for those who want anesthesiology, neurology, etc. Those programs needs one year preliminary training and then followed by three years of residency training in that specific areas.

2. This depends on your financial ability.
if u r US grad, then u can match anywhere, no probs with scores or anything else
I want to do GI, so I can do preliminary?
Is it easier or harder to get a preliminary position?
if u wanna do Gastroenterology.... U have to complete 3 years of IM.. and then apply for GI fellowship... its very very competitive to get GI fellowship... GL..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »