Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estrogen surge effect? -
dralex

When there is estrogen surge 24-36 hours prior ot ovulation does it "stumilate" both LH and FSH or just LH?
RR

both LH& FSH.
dralex

and that's what i read in Kaplan, while in Goljan notes AND lectures he was saying that estrogen surge causes positive feedback fot LH (and ovulation occurs) while NEGATIVE feedback on FSH (he even underlines tha last statement).
So which way to go?
amb

dralex...i thought the same thing as what you are saying Goljan said...thats the one i believe.
dralex

in fact FA is also saying that there is a negative feedback from estogen towards the FSH.
ally

Goljan is right,only positive on LH
hi...

At first its the positive feedback affect on both the LH and FSH and then after a certain threshold is reached its converted into a negative feedback .
dralex

FOR "hi..." - I think it's right. During the ovulatory phase there is negative feecback from the estrogens to both LH and FSH. 2-3 days before the ovulation estrogen surge occurs and when estrogen reaches some "special high" level it switches from the negative feedback for LH into positive feedback (LH is important for some transformations in the follicle that will become a lutein body) so LH concentration will increase (we need the LH cause it will produce letein body which will secrete progesteron in the secretory phase). At the same time estrogen continue sending negative feedbak (no changes here) to FSH (we don't need FSH any more cause we don't need new follicles to develop, and we don't need as much estrogen any more). So, in the beginning (prol phase) 0 negative feedback for both, while in the secret. phase - still negative for FSH but positive for LH.
dralex

FOR "hi..." i mean that i think that you was wrong.... see my explanation above.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »