Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i need help. - savi
savi - savibms

hi,
i am FMG [an anesthesiologist] ,recently moved to US. i completed my education in 1991.i am worried that wheather i can be able to go through USMLE.please, guide me how can i start and let me know any other options for me to work in health related field.
Thanks.
ra

Hi savi, the 1st thing to do is read carefully the 2004 USMLE bulletin available at www.usmle.org in order to get a general idea of the steps and requirements to begin a residence in USA.

2nd you have to decide which books are you going to use, 2 options here: A-rated books from First Aid (this is a general review book for last weeks before the test which also have a chapter of the different books available for usmle with grades from students feedback) or Kaplan notes, don't use both pick one and stick to it, and do as many questions as you can from different sources while studying

Good luck
savi

Thanks ra for your prompt advice. Please, can you tell me which books/notes (minimum) are useful according to your experience? Approx. how much period is required to prepare for step1[if i start studying 1st MBBS subjects after more than a decade.]
Thanks.
ra

Either one of the choices I posted are enough, if you choose kaplan notes add Goljan or BRS for pathology, Its certainly been a while since you graduated, I graduated on 2000 and believe me I also didn't remember many things specially from biochem ,anatomy, embryo, but if you are only studying (not working) 8-10 hours a day and aiming for a high score as many of us (IMG's) must, it should not take more than 6 months, but this is different from everybody, take a look at my past post under the name "I am so happyyyyyyyyyyyy", with my exam and preparation experience it may be useful for you savi
ani

Why in particular are you worried as to whether you can go through with the exam? Or is it residency in general? Where have you practised till now? Time of graduation is not an issue per se (I finished 1990 and just sat exam).
savi

Thanks ra and ani.
I am from India[Mumbai]. Since 1992,I practised clinical anesthesia[in hospitals as well as private practise].Is there anything else[other than usmle] to continue career in anesthesia? I know that, this question doesn`t fit in this forum,but when I saw so many good &helping people,I couldn`t control to ask. If I don`t get any other way,my final option is usmle.I may be wrong thinking this way!
Also tell me,after passing step1& step2--CK&CS,what is next? I am in MINNESOTA. I heard about letters of recommendation:what is that and how many are required?
Thanks.
mani - neom333

Dear Savi :
Donot worry. U will pass MLEs. Just focus on the preparations and give enough time -say 3 to 4 months- for step 1. Anesthesia is in demand in USA too. Thus donot lose track.Many other openings do exist,like research jobs ,etc. But best bet is to pass MLEs and do clinical work in US as u did in INdia. My wife is also Anesthetist and passed out many years back.She is also preparing for MLEs,though initially she too had similar apprehensions .
Kumar
savi

Thank you very much, Kumar.After reading your mail,I felt much better knowing that some people are there in same situation like me.Thanks for positive feed-back!
Hi everybody,
I have lot of confusion about what is next after step 1&2?Is work experience must for applying residency? How many yrs? What type of work and which types of hospitals? When one can sit for USMLE step3? Is it possible to get license without going through residency? I don`t know these things in detail,please give your valuable opinions.Thanks in advance.
savi.
ra

You have to take step 1, step 2CK (Clinical Knowledge) and step 2CS (Clinical Skills, previously known as CSA) in order to get certified to aply for a residency. As a general rule Step 3 can be taken either before entering the residence or during the 1st year of it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »