Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Step 3 impression - to_alex
I am an average candidate, luckily i passed guys score in low 80s not a good score though. Don't take this exam lightly. Its tough like any other exam and infact the toughest in USMLEs. You just need to study few high yield chapters and keep on revising and make your concepts clear. I studied very seriously for about solid 9 weeks. My CK score is in mid 90s taken 6 months back. In Step 3 most of the qs test your medical common sense more than medical knowledge. Answers for many qs you won't find it any materials besides if you have studied MKSAP. But who the heck has time to go through MKSAP??? If you have time and want more than 99 then you can go through it. I respect you!!
Learn to manage your time well. If you trust your intuition then i guess Step 3 will be good. Read q-clik ans-move on, don't divert your mind even for a second. Time is very crucial in Step 3. As for me i am a good reader so time managemnt wasn't a problem. First day MCQs are too vague. Second day might give you some relief. CCS were all from UW and the ones posted in the forum. CCS was like a cake walk for me and performance is slightly on the higher side too. I had totally messed up with one case but the rest i did well i guess. Mind it its a very tiring exam. You will be fatigued, so prepare yourself both physically and mentally. Do not trust any weird guys who say i did Step 3 in a week or so. I would say in Step 3 even your intelligence can mislead you. I wanted to take no chance so i devoted myself. If you have studied seriously guys for Step 3 everyone of you will pass. Do not be misled. You just have to study and practice CCS as many times you can and forget the life in US for few months. I am proud i made it in the first attempt. Who cares for the score? I am concentrating on my interviews now.

Materials i used:

Kaplan Step 2 CK revised once mostly high yield chapters in Medicine and OB

UW Step 2 notes that i had taken during Step 2 exam

Kaplan Step 3 notes once but not of much help

UW Step 3 Qbank did once with avg score about 55% which later increased while doing incorrect qs (was of more help during the second day). I had made notes and had chance to revise it many times.

UW 88 CCS cases is the best. I did it 3 times and the last one was revision of high yield exam cases

Swanson's high yield chapters like Sports medicine, Bioterrorism, Geriatrics.

FA Step 3 just took a glance of images and EKGs

Good Luck !!
thanks so much...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »