Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please rank psych residencies - chrystal
1. Mt Sinai Elmhurst
2. Mt Sinai North General
3. Maimonides Medical Center
I thought you signed prematch in psych in NYC. If I were you, I would just enjoy my life a little bit before residency.
thx kremlin

i have a fren who is iv-ing still... we r from the same country and she has ivs in the 3 places... i hope she gets a place in nyc too...
Kremlin:
I am just curious, can you share your thoughts why MSSM affiliated programs are inferior to Maimonides? Which medical school is affiliated with Maimonides? I could not find the info. Thank you.
fellow

i went to mt sinai elmhurst and maimonides for iv
both are IMG friendly. mt sinai is a city hospital while maimonides is private.
the resident in elmhurst seems tired out and less cheerful than the ones in maimonides, who were friendlier.. i think both are gd programs, but facilities wise, maimonides will be better.
maimonides is not affiliated to any universitites (they used to be to mt sinai, but the PD told us they broke away?) i would expect a lot more scut work in elmhurst, and less time for teaching. maimonides seem very dedicated to teaching... and it hires over 400 residents in all varying specialities.. elmhurst is actually pretty much a psych hospital..
when i was at maimonides, a couple of residents and an attending shared how their friends at elmhurst were not happy because of the workload.. i am taking it with a pinch of salt..

my 2 cents. what do u think?
Hey Chrystal:
thank you so much for your input. I scheduled both but not yet attend. I heard about similar comments about Elmhurst. But since it is affililated with MSSM, it attracts me more. I don't mind heavy work load as long as the program will help me to get fellowship. I am hoping the my LOR letters head have medical school name. But if I don't get enough protected education time and won't be happy there, then I will just leave it. I want to be happy.
I agree with you that maimonides is much better hospital setting, good fellowships in other specialties and big on research. I am not sure about research in psychiatry though. One of my senior told me that no research no fellowship, but he is an internist. I I also believe maimonides has better reputation in NY, but outside of NY, MSSM affililated program seems to be reconized more. orange and apple, it is hard to pick and choose.
I am not big on prematch, but I would like to know if Elmhurst and maimonides give prematch or only match. If they give prematch, I will tell them I will be happy if I match to their program before they talk about prematch. But if they only go for match, then I will not say anything. Chrystal, do you mind to tell me about that? Thanks.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »