Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hem4 - pacemaker
A 28-year-old woman is evaluated in the emergency department for chest pain and shortness of breath. Her history is significant for hemoglobin SS.

On physical examination, the temperature is 39 °C (102.2 °F). She is tachypneic and has increased breath sounds with dullness to percussion at the right lung base. A chest radiograph confirms the presence of a right lower pulmonary lobe infiltrate. Oxygen saturation is 85% on room air. The hemoglobin is 7.2 g/dL (72 g/L), and the leukocyte count is 12,500/µL (12.5 x 109/L).

In addition to supplemental oxygen and antibiotics, which of the following is the most appropriate therapy for this patient at this time?

A Erythrocyte exchange transfusion
B Heparin
C Prednisone
D N-acetylcysteine
A Erythrocyte exchange transfusion
B!
cccccccc
I change to A
sickle cell disease......chest syndrome....trasfunsion......

pace,,,i miss your Q.
no u din....lol.........cuz i just started

A)
Key Points

* Acute chest syndrome (ACS) is characterized by fever, chest pain, shortness of breath, hypoxia, and a chest infiltrate in a patient with a sickling disorder.
* Patients with ACS require erythrocyte transfusion to achieve a target hemoglobin of 10 g/dL (100 g/L).

Acute chest syndrome (ACS) is characterized by fever, chest pain, shortness of breath, hypoxia, and a radiographically detected chest infiltrate in a patient with a sickling disorder. This syndrome may be caused by infection, in situ thrombosis, atelectasis, fat embolism, or any combination of these events. ACS is a leading cause of death in patients with a sickling disorder. Erythrocyte transfusion, by simple transfusion to a target hemoglobin of 10 g/dL (100 g/L), or by exchange transfusion, is necessary in patients with ACS to decrease blood viscosity and increase oxygen delivery. In addition, exchange transfusion may decrease the number of inflammatory cells and mediators of inflammation to improve the course of this disease. Neither heparin nor prednisone is indicated in the treatment of ACS, and N-acetylcysteine does not affect the course of ACS.
ans has to be aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa its acute chest syndrome in a pt with SCA
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »