Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible? If yes, whats the probability - sadguy
Hi,
I desperately got into a speciality which I'm totally convinced but I had to take it since I got matched in that speciality.

My question is- How do i switch my speciality, some say after one year in residency. Please give the details and procedure for this.

Appreciate your kind help!
correction: ********I'm not totally convinced.

Sorry
u can not switch in 1st year thats 100% sure...u can try next year by convinving the PD of the speciality u wanna go in the same hospital and then ask ur current speciality program PD for permission to transfer..usually it depends on place to place..some PDs simply fire u if u ask him permission to transfer to an other specialty..it happened at Shreveport I guess...

some Pds say simply NO...

it depends on the speciality that you mathed and speciality that you want to go and their competetiveness, theoritically you should find a position in the speciality you desire and also have to convince your program director to release you from the residency that you are and most of the time it makes the PDs so upset because they have to find a PGY-2 to fill your spot (if you do it after one year) and sometimes they wont give you any release letter or LOR which absoloutly necessary for applying to another program. If you have very good credentials and almost sure that you will find a position in your desire program next year, talk to your program director now to let you go, in this case it is much easier for them to find someone for filling your spot, and then you may apply for next match, in most of the cases they wont report it to nrmp and you probably can apply for next year match, but consider this fact that almost all people that I know who got matched and left the program for better speciality or refused a prematch offer to find a better position next year regret it badly. do some extensive research before doing anything.
Thank you admiredhope and appu81 for your input. Its kinda tough after reading your input. I'm kinda stuck now. I have this mixed feeling in this match....... Probably I will end up in this for rest of my life.

Guys from my experience, don't compromise with your speciality. Before you submit your rank list think twice.

God bless.........

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »