Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
126 trauma........................................ - doctorsaheb
a person had a severe accident with neck injuries. he is unconsious and apneic. what is the next step

1 first rule out cervical spine injury with xray then if negative u can do orotracheal intubation. i dont know if it is positive what should be done.......

2 nasotracheal intubation with fibre optic bronchoscopy without extending the neck then do neck xray.

PLEASE EXPLAIN UR ANSWER.
if no facial trauma go ahead with nasal fibreoptic intubation. since the pt is unconscious/apenic...ABC...right!
since intubation is underdirect vision, u will not have to manupilate the neck in a pt with bad neck injuries...that is why fiberoptic.
then transport to radiology for the imaging.
yes u r right cricoid. this is what kaplan says. but UW says first do xray and if it is neg then u can do orotracheal intubation. it did not explain what we should do if neck xray shows injury.

which one should we follow.
kaplan...coz i am telling you real life management...
no matter how bad the injuries are....airway first in unconcious/apenic pt....
i have seen facial fracture...bad ones...unclear neck....unconscious pts getting intubated first and than x-ray etc...
that sounds good. thanks. r u a resident?

what are u studying for surgery.
Hey cricoid one more q.

in shock we use ringer lactate without sugar. can u explain why without sugar.
i am a resident of my house...lol...
i have not studied surgery yet, but will review step 3 kaplan notes...they are good...
trauma/stress....high adrenaline state....
adrenaline messe up the insulin's action on target receptors...thus you have hyperglycemia...
you do not want to potentiate that....
oh interesting . thanks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »