Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pharm - pepsi00
do i have any other choice, if i do will be magnesium sulfate...........
magnesium sulfate i never heard of that,how does that work?
this is by wiki....Tocolytics are medications used to suppress premature labor (from the Greek tokos, childbirth, and lytic, capable of dissolving). They are given when delivery would result in premature birth. The therapy also buys time for the administration of betamethasone, a glucocorticoid drug which greatly accelerate fetal lung maturity, but takes one to two days to work.

The suppression of contractions is often only partial and tocolytics can only be relied on to delay birth for several days. Depending on the tocolytic used the mother or fetus may require monitoring, as for instance blood pressure monitoring when nifedipine is used as it reduces blood pressure. In any case the risk of preterm labor alone justifies hospitalization.

[edit] Types of agents
Various types of agents are used, with varying success rates and side effects. Some medications are not specifically FDA approved for use in stopping uterine contractions in preterm labor, instead being used off label. Nifedipine is one of the most commonly used tocolytic agents.[1]

Examples:

Magnesium sulfate
ritodrine (Yutopar)
fenoterol
nifedipine (Procardia, Adalat
Magnesium sulfate is sometimes used as a tocolytic medication to slow uterine contractions during preterm labor. But studies show it does not stop preterm labor and it may cause complications for both mother and baby.1

Magnesium sulfate is usually given through a vein (intravenously) until contractions have slowed and the mother's cervix has stopped thinning (effacing) or opening (dilating).
This medication is thought to affect the action of calcium in the body, and calcium must be present for the muscles of the uterus to contract........
In other words this is used as an off label medication as vitamins, or aspirin are used in certain conditions.......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »