Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cook county Vs university hospital -
confused gal

hey guys,
I am in this big delimma. I live in chicago and i did not get any university program interviews . the best one so far is cook county. but i have had interviews with university programs in New York and Detroit. So my question is in the long run is it worth it to live apart from my family for the university label or is cook county a good bet for career long term( i mean , fellowships etc)?
Please guys , someone please give me an objective veiw on this......really confused....
Thanks very much
confused gal
rizza

cook is a good comm program with uni affiliations. fellowships are available. uni programs are good if u can get them and are willing to travel abroad. but what u must do is weigh ur pros and cons on staying in chicago or not. im actually in a similar situation.. Wink
docespy - docespy

How strong are your ties to Chicago?
Do you need a break from your ties?
Cook County is good place to learn (lots of hands on) and you can still do a fellowship. Its not your garden variety community hospital.
confused gal

thanks docespyand rizza

my ties are strong...
but i feel i dont want to compromise my whole career just on the basis of staying in chicago...

is it true that one has a chance for fellowship only where one does ones residency? is that why people opt for places witrh their own fellowships?
thanks for your opinions...
confused gal

rizza

the strongest chance for a fellowship is at the program where u completed residency..so its better if they offer fellowships that u r interested in. i have heard so far on average that a program with fellowships gives almost 50 percent of spots to their own graduates and the rest to others.....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »