Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transitional vs. prelim as backup for IM aspirers - fhelou
what is the difference between the two?
what should you write in your PS and say in interview?
if you are matched in either, where do you go from there if you want IM? apply again next year? for PGY1 or PGY2?
one more thing, if you apply to either, do you also have to apply to an advanced specialty?
can you just say that you for example are torn between IM and peds and you want to do a transitional year to make up your mind?
Both prelim and transitional spots are far more competitive than categorical spots, except prelim surgery, which is less competitive than categorical surgery. For prelim medicine and transitional spots, you'll be competing against the best AMGs, the ones who are going into rads, ophto, gas, etc... My point is that prelim medicine or transitional aren't really backup plans if you want to enter IM, since categorical positions are easier to get.
let's say for the sake of argument that I have a connection at a transitional program
what would be the answers to the above questions?
keep in mind that if I do get that position, I will be applying next year with a 1 yr USCE and US LORs both of which I lack this year
OK, assuming you do get a transitional spot:

what is the difference between the two?

In transitional you rotate in all specialties (surgery, med, peds and OB/GYN). They tend to be much easier than prelim medicine (and therefore much more competitive than prelim). Prelim medicine is equivalent to the first year of medicine in a categorical spot. This has the advantage that if you do decide to continue in medicine, that first year can count as your first year.

what should you write in your PS and say in interview?

Usually people use the same PS for the advanced position. For example, if you're applying to neuro, just use the same PS just adding a sentence or two saying that a prelim/transitional year would allow you to have the clinical foundation for your future, etc...

if you are matched in either, where do you go from there if you want IM? apply again next year? for PGY1 or PGY2?

As I said above, for prelim medicine, you can try find open PGY2 spots next year. That's fairly common to find. Other people say many times if you want to stay in the program, and the program likes a lot, they can find some room for you and allow you to continue as PGY2.
For transitional, you'd have to apply all over again and start as PGY1 in medicine.
thanks buddy

so I have to apply for an advanced specialty to get into transitional? can I just apply to transitional and say that I haven't made up my mind yet and I need to rotate in different specialties to get a feel of it
You're welcome.

I don't think there are rules. But I'd expect that the argument of not being sure of what you want wouldn't be a good one, since in principle you already went through med school and are supposed to know what you want. But that's just my take on it.
I don't understand why you said that Prelim and transitional can be your backups. They are more competitive, fewer position. They are for those who need them in their residency trainings.
my involvement in med school was in my home country not in the US
and besides, it was that of a medical student so it's never long nor thorough enough to get a good idea about the lifestyle of each specialty, seeing internists work for example is different from working and living as one
and this is a life choice I am making here so I wanna make it right, I wanna be in a specialty that I absolutely love in order to perform my best. how's that for an argument?

I can say that I have 2 specialties in mind and I want t o decide between them, say IM and neurology for example
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »