Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why USMLE? - striver
Hi, juz wanna ask u ppl...

Most ppl take USMLE for getting US residency. BUt, as we know, it's hard to get a place... And, what if we fail to get a residency after passing USMLE step1, step 2 CK, step 2 CS, getting ECFMG certification, or even passing step 3? Does it have any other benefit beside getting US residency?

Thanx for the reply. I really want to know what u think...
wow..getting a residency position in the US like you won the biggest game in your life!
Thanx for replying... I absolutely agree with you.
I know... that's what we all here are reaallly dreaming of... I mean, it is like an all or none' concept rite? U get an US residency, or ur USMLE score is of no use. Do u really think everybody who pass USMLE will get a place in US residency?

I am considering to take USMLE, but I am still in doubt because it will cost a lot of money to take USMLE exam (esp step 2 CS and step 3 bcz have to go to US). I know it sounds very pessimistic, but I need to be realistic as the cost as I listed above will really be a burden for me if I can't get any residency in US.

After all, the main qs is: Do u really think everybody who pass USMLE will get a place in US residency?

Thanx for replying. Keep being optimistic. I'm trying too...
Technically, you can use the USMLE experience gained and maybe get a job in the insurance industry working for an HMO or PPO or some other benefits provider. Also, you can use the ECFMG certificate to show employers in other countries that you have been certified by an American agency.

But basically, without residency most people are not going to become physician.
Thank you for ur opinion, deltaf508

So, approximately what is the percentage IMG passing well in USMLE (>90) getting residency in US?
Approximately how many interviews done?
And how many residency applied to? And, approximately how many times (total) needed to go to USA to get a place?

Thanx for replying...
I think you can also apply for residency in Canada using your USMLE tests, but I a mnot sure. Anybody know?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »