Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ethics q. - rey3liles
A 14-year old boy is diagnosed with terminally ill cancer. He is not responding to chemotherapy. His parents want to continue the treatment. However, the boy does not want to continue his suffering. The physician told the parents that chemotherapy will not be helpful. What is the appropriate decision at this point?
2. a 8 year old girl has intestinal obstruction which needs surgical intervention. her mother is in psychoses and cannot give consent. her father passed away last year. what should the physician do?
a. act like a surrogate parent and go ahead with the surgery.
b. ask the child for her opinion.
c. refer the case to hospital ethics committee.
d. contact the child's aunt who occassionally visits the child.
e. obtain consent from child's baby sitter who baby sits the child for 2 hours everyday.
1 q: As the parents wanna continue the treatment ...boy does not want to tolerate the pain....even if the doc tells them chemo will not work........DOC CAN STILL CONTINUE.....

If there are any opitons then it would be easy to pick..

2Q: a
1.Educate mom to insure accurate understanding of the situation and invoke the principle of futility.No further treatment.

2.D
of 2 i m sure its AAA as the rules say that if no one to decide the physician decides as the best interest of the patient

and for 1st q i would go ahead with the treat ment as the mom wants the kid is still 14
1. But the vignette indicates that the physician told parents that chemotherapy will not be beneficial.
2.I thought the aunt would be a legitimate surrogate on a higher hierarchy than the physycian.
marshal is right on the first one. when the therapy is futile, the doctor can stop even if the parents insist.

the second one says, the doctor should act like a surrogate parent.

i am confused by the second answer, should an aunt be a better person than the doctor? hmm...
what is the treatment for cat bite if the patient is allergic to penicillin?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »