Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your thoughts appreciated - urwisica
Hello friends,

I am wandering about some things following my exam that maybe you can shed some light on:

1. FA mentions that all details concerning the SP's appearance/behavior are crucial, so I wander if the SP's tatoos or pendant (jewellery) could carry some meaning... You see I wander if I should have inquired about where the SP got the tattoo and counsel that some places don't use sterile tatooing equipment and that it's possible to catch an infectious disease like hep.C
Also if the jewellery is linked to a significant relationship, should I have asked "how is everything between the two of you if you don't mind sharing? everything OK in that department?" just to rule out any possible spousal abuse or depression etc. I didn't do these things, so now I wander if I should have and I am worried. My true previous experience with a real patient I examined once in my training is that when I remarked about his tatoo "what it represents" he dismissed it as a juvenile whim and wasn't pleased that I asked, so from then on I never comented on such bodily decorations as a rule.

2. Is it necessary to ask all 4 ?s of CAGE every time that SP mentions some form of alcohol intake? even if they say they just have a glass of wine with dinner? Because it is time cosuming to do and what I did was to ask just a couple of the questions and moved on when it seemed clear they weren't drinking too much everyday. Besides I assumed the SP wasn't lying or minimizing his EtOH use. Also for example in the mediterrean tradition, often wine is served with dinner and it's not considered abusing alcohol. I'm afraid I should have questioned about the EtOH amounts used by each SP and recorded it in the note more precisely.

3. A couple of times when I came out of the room I remembered things that I should have asked, so I recorded that on the note in order not to make it seem like I wasn't aware of it (I put: should have asked about such and such). I hope I won't get disqualified for doing that - bc I knew that I should have obtained certain information to have a more complete note and just forgot it under pressure, so my reasoning is that I tried to indicate it by writing that I missed that particular detail. I hope that won't work against me.

4. Is it necessary to ask about sexual activity/preference everytime, even if they're coming for for an unrelated problem like I don't know, a sprained shoulder? It seemed kind of akward to me to be doing that if it has to be a focused exam, but then again it's part of SODAS.

Please provide some input if you can. All my best to all those studying,

fellow student

Depends upon the result, urwisica.
If you pass, do not bother about all these things.

I started thinking all this when I failed.
I felt that given the time constraint one can not go into ALL the details of EVERYTHING. PAMHUGSFOSS probably involves screening to find out anything out of the way, and then one can obtain greater details.

Wait for you result, and inform us. When did you take the exam?
Then we shall discuss further.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply prakashmalshe, it's true I just have to be patient and wait for the result. The test was end of Nov. so for now I have to bear this uncertainity and learn from my mistakes.

1: u are right about this one. sometimes things are related. but if the hsitory appears to be complete witthout such information then i think we dont have to worry much about such minor things.
2: if alcohol intake >1 drink in females and >2 drinks in males, then we have to ask CAGE completely, otherwise , we can skip that out , this is mentioned in digitaldoc/Neeraj's cs notes. dont know what kind of drink needs the whole CAGE. i doubt that if a pt is drinking 2 glasses of red wine each day , for 'health' reasons , will need CAGE. wish someone could clarify that.
3:in case we miss doing something on the PE , which is important or takes a lot of time, we can write that as the 1st point in the workup. dont think we should write something in the history part. but i dont think that u wrote something that u didnt do, ie write a false history or something like that. if u didnt , then stop worrying.
4: i really doubt this one. dont think its necessary to ask about sexual preference/activity and for that matter family history for every case. how is sexual activity/preference and family history useful in a car accident case??? depends on the case and we can definitely skip that put if its not related.

everyone makes some mistakes. go through the messages posted on 3rd December. u will understand. stop thinking about the CS, relax, prepare for the next step , keep all the worrying for the result day and do pray.
u may also visit link below

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=366802

Cheers and good luck
I wanted to share my joy with everyone. I passed my step 2 CS! Thanks in part to the pointers contained in this forum. Thanks be to God. Alleluja!

urwisica
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »