Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
calls in sick - okt3
what kind of bug anaplasma guys ???? I don't remember the name even !!!!
usmleblockbuster!!! This question is hard core detail - I had never heard of it either. Anaplasma is under the erlichiosis family (which is under ricketsiae) - it is a dog disease but can infect humans. I had to wikipedia it. Man, okt3's questions are hard! Where does he get these questions from?
The correct answer is A. This woman has the symptoms and signs of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis, caused by Anaplasma phagocytophilum. This disease coexists in the same geographic region as Lyme disease because it is transmitted by the same ixodid tick vector. This same tick can transmit three separate infections: Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis or babesiosis. The finding of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever-type symptoms (absent rash) and the presence of berry-like clusters (morulae) inside neutrophils is diagnostic.

Bartonella henselae (choice B) is the agent of bacillary angiomatosis in AIDS patients and cat scratch disease in children. Cat scratch disease is a febrile lymphadenopathy and bacillary angiomatosis is a proliferative disease of small blood vessels of the skin and viscera.

Coxiella burnetii (choice C) is the agent of Q fever. This rickettsia-like organism is transmitted by inhalation of aerosols from infected animal tissues. It would not produce morulae inside granulocytes.

Ehrlichia chafeensis (choice D) is the agent of human monocytic ehrlichiosis. It causes the production of morulae in monocytes and macrophages, and is most common in the southeastern and lower Midwestern states.

Rickettsia rickettsiae (choice E) is the agent of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Although the symptoms of fever, myalgia and headache are consistent in this woman, the organism produces a characteristic centripetal rash that begins on the ankles and wrists and spreads toward the trunk.
hey
okt3
thanks so much for the challenging questions.
it keeps me alert.
nice okt3....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »