Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neuro - okt3
A 70-year-old man comes to clinical attention with progressive memory loss, urinary incontinence, and gait instability. His gait is short-stepped, and he turns very slowly, almost toppling over.
MRI of the brain shows dilatation of the ventricular cavities, while the cerebral cortex appears normal. No infarcts are seen. A biopsy of the frontal cortex demonstrates the absence of neurofibrillary tangles and senile plaques.
The patient undergoes lumbar puncture. Forty cc of fluid are removed. Three hours later the patient is able to walk unassisted, and turns well.
The patient undergoes ventriculoperitoneal shunt placement.
He is discharged 2 days later, his gait and cognition much improved.
The following morning his wife finds him lying in bed, very confused,and complaining of a headache. He is unable to walk.

The surgeon who performed the procedure is concerned that his new symptoms are due to

a. Chemical meningitis

b. Subdural hematoma

c. Epidural hematoma

d. Seizures

e. Bacterial ventriculitis
ee
b??
bb
I am applying sole logic only

Is it Subdural hematoma
after u have reduced the size of the brain , fragile veins probably ruptured.

plz correct me and post the answer quickly i am very much curious about it
The answer is b.
Up to 28% of patients who undergo ventriculoperitoneal shunting for NPH may suffer
major complications, including subdural hematoma.
Subdural hematoma occurs because the reduction in intracranial pressure brought on by the
reduction in CSF volume may cause the brain to pull away from the covering meninges, stretching and potentially rupturing the bridging veins
Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »