Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ethics - showman
21. A male colleague asks you to write a prescription for a narcotic analgesic for one of his female patients. You have noticed
that this patient frequently has been coming by the office to see your colleague, and that several of the visits have been
marked "No Charge." When you ask your colleague why he cannot write the prescription himself, he seems defensive and
says, "because I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea." Which of the following is the most appropriate response to your
colleague?
(A) "It sounds like there is more to this story than you are telling me; maybe we should talk about it."
(B) "I wish I could help you, but I never prescribe that medication for a patient unless I have seen the patient
myself."
© "I will do this for you once, but I will need to see your patient in the office before I can write another
prescription."
(D) "Maybe I should see your patient in the office myself, and then decide if she needs the medication."
(E) "You have seemed a little nervous lately. You aren't getting in over your head, are you?"
bb
bb.
I'll go with D
d. depends on pt discretion & not physician's. I suppose.
it is the pt who decides.
21. The correct answer is A. This question clearly describes a situation in which a colleague may be behaving inappropriately with a female patient. This is suggested by the œno charge fee and his defensive posture when questioned. This choice indicates awareness by the physician of a possible inappropriate physician-patient relationship, and indicates a willingness to help. It would not be appropriate to accuse the colleague directly, given the lack of evidence. On the other hand, there is clearly enough information given in this question to raise suspicion.
Choices B, C, D, and E are not the most appropriate response because they may make your colleague defensive.
thanks showman
nice qs.thanx.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »