Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
urgent help with PTAL??anyone i my situation - usmlemed123
hi,
i applied for my PTAL in mid october-almost 3 months are over and my application has not been reviewed yet..my medical school forms are sent out(L2-L5)and according to my transcripts, have shortage of psychiatry clerkships..
so,i have plans to go back to my medical school in India and do the clerkships in psychiatry.. If i call the cal med board,person in charge doesn't clarify my doubts-whether i need to do these clerkships or not-because ,she says my application has not been reviewed.so,she cant tell anything...please help me,how do i proceed...

how long does it take for the application to be reviewed,plz help?
PTAL takes 3 months so they should have answer for you shortly. Hard to guess what the outcome will be.
thanks lubdubgone.......will wait n see
If you have shortage of psychiatry clerkships, they will send you a letter saying so, once they have reviewed your application. my advice is not to wait till you get this letter, but take remedial steps now. My PTAL took 5 months to come, this after many calls to the med board to see the status of my file..You have to keep calling and/or writing to them. the process is very slow even if your clerkships are perfect, so dont slow it down further by making them notice your shortages.
Include all clerkships in psychiatry from second year of med school till internship(if you are from india)
this is accepted by them. if you still have a shortage, there is no choice but to go back and do a few more weeks of psych in your med school. Or try and find some med school here which is willing to allow you to do so here.
If you have more Qs, dont hesitate to ask. I have been through this long process during which I was helped by views of forum members..so its my turn to give back now, I guess :-)
thanks peds res08 for your advise...will plan to do psychiatry clerkships.

can u please tell,once i do these clerkships from my med school,should i get a letter stating that or get it filled in L5 form....little confused about this?thanks again
I had it filled in my L-5..
But later I also got a letter from the Principal detailing all my psych clerkships from 2nd year,
including the additional one that I did..
Remember that all these forms must go to them from your college.
most importantly, after sending all these, find out who is the PTAL Licensing analyst assigned to your file, and keep calling him/her..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »