Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is my chance of getting into a Med/ Ped - businessjm
Hi, Doctors,

I grad 1996. 1year research in US without paper. 2 years USCE with 1 year rotation as a PA student, currently practicing as a PA in Ortho full time and ER part time.

Step 1 94, step2 87, first attempt.

LOR from family practice, OB, peds and maybe ortho and general surgery.

What is my chance for med/ped academic program. Which one I should apply?

Thanks

Anyone has advice please
ur scores ar good have u done post graduation somewhere
umm
since you are an old graduate...u will undoubtedly find it difficult to secure a residency....try to find programs that are not so choosy (i.e 3rd tier programs....community programs....programs not so wellknown....programs on probation...programs that find it difficult to fill all their positions etc).....and apply all over the map......if u get a prematch..take it..
post grad experience will not help in getting a residency...but it will help very much in explaining what u were doing between 1996 and 2005

u can use the PA thing to ur advantage....by explaining why u did PA instead of doing residency
No chances, working as PA hurts your chances, I had the same situation, I am a Nurse Pract. for years.
I believe you have good chances if you know how to use your experience in your advantage. Most importantly get very good American LOR in fields related to what you want to do. If not, even other specialties are good: ask the person who writes them to stress things that may be of relevance for your field or for a doctor in general. My experience: I'm an even older IMG grad and for the last 7 years I only did research, have scores in mid 80s, PhD, no visa issues, 1 month of observership: applied for IM and FP in a geographically limited area (due to family issues), got 6+6 interviews (most in very good community hospitals +1 of each in University program, but I only have 1 university close to where I live, so I did not apply for more). 6 prematch offers (3 for each) and I finally decided for one in IM. I believe that my excellent recommendation letter were my strongest points together with good interview skills (remember that your credentials are only very important to get your interviews, after that we are all equal and you may come ahead of somebody with better credentails if you prove maturity, seriousness of purpose, good interpesrsonal skills etc.
I strongly encourage you to do your best and you will succeed. good luck!
Thank you for all of the advices. I am actually have offer from FP already. FP is actually not bad except that it is only clinic base. I feel I like the hospital setting a little more. I've been thinking about Med/Ped because I will have more choices in the future.

Again, I don't have problem to match in a residency program. But my question is how is my chance for academic program. Also, I don't have visa problem.
Can anyone tell me whether or not I have chance for University of Illinois at Chicago med/ped or the IM or Med/ped programs in LA with my credential listed above?
i would say...average chances
u would probably be midway in their ranking...that also depends on how your interview went
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »