Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If someone gets Preliminary Medicine spot...?!! - cardiosucks
If someone gets Preliminary Internal Medicine spot...how does it affect chances of getting categorical Internal medicine spot next year?

Does it make it easier or even more difficult?

How will one justify it in interview, if one gets an interview.

or is it easier to get Family Medicine next year?!

Any one has any idea

I know someone who got into second year Medicine spot (lucky) but didn't get any categorical interviews next year.

Any views of forum on this
hey buddy,i got 2 prelim surg i.v.s and one cat surg i.v.,cat one was the one where i did externship for 8mnths!!!..total 3 surg.i.vs,i didnt apply to medicine as am totally in to surgery.but heres a take on prelim..

if u get a med prelim spot in scramble u will be very lucky as many amgs who matched into advance positions but not into prelim will be trying for it.if u do manange to get one,just take it!!.1 y of prelim in med,and ur almost certain for a cat in int.med next year,if u do well in prelim year,considering medicine is not as competitive as surgery,usually the prog. where u got prelim offers u a cat spot if they like u..u will have to work twice as hard as other cat residents and other residents in the prelim,coz they r also competing for it,even if u dont get a cat spot in the same prog.u will get it somewhere no problem....prelim in medicine is not that twisted even,considering 60hr per week,no big deal...

Now surgery prelim is a no..no..for amgs ,so they r left unfilled mostly,reasons only 12% go on to get a cat spot in surgery,80hr per week on paper...i repeat on paper!!!...,its very physically draining,with almost no guarentee for a cat spot next year...so it depends on u,if u wanna take that risk..but anyways u get that valuable usce externship exp,which can fetch u an i.m. residency or f.m. residency next year even if u dont get a cat spot next year or u can continue in pgy2 prelim which prog. rarely offer if they like u...since reisdents do drop off from surg.in different years u might just click....

Bottom line prelim med and prelim surg.,take prelim med...period....am a surgeon at mind so am willing totake the risk...hope i get matched in cat spot ..only one though i i.ved..g.l.
thx irfan,solved many of my questions bout prelim,this is the most detailed post i read so far about prelims,very informative..hope you get your cat spot.gud luck.
I asked my friend. As per her, she actually spoke with PD to get her husband preliminary IM seat. PD said if he will apply categorical IM next year, then they don't look favorably at it. Also they would ask why did you take/apply preliminlary when you wanted to do categorical medicine or FM in 1st place.

Usually they keep prelimin spots for AMGs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »