Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no luck - apply4res
guys i need some suggestions. This is my 4th match, again i did not match this year. got 3 ivs, 2 in FM and 1 in Surgery. i applied to FM, IM and surgery - total about 130 programs, all over US.

these are my credentials
Us citizen
2006 grad
step 1 83 - 4th attempt
step 2 79 - 2nd attempt
step 2 CS - pass first time
step 3 79 - pass first time
2 yrs USCE from 2004-2006
2 yrs hospital work expterience as first assistant in surgery 2006-2008
4 - strong LORs from surgeons, 1 letter by OB chief of dept, 1 letter from research mentor
4 months research, no publications

what else can i do. i am thinking of doing another observership. one of the PDs told me that i need to prove my clinical skills to make up for my step 1 scores, i experienced that i just took step 3 in Oct and passed on first attempt, but that wasn't good enough for them. i got some feedback from residents at the programs, stating that all the facutly and residents really liked me, but it was my step 1 score that scared the committee, becasue that thought i wouldn't be able to preform well clinically. i can't change my scores now, i really worked hard and took step 3 and passed on first attempt. now what can i do.

i was thinking to do an observership for a few months to try to improve my application, is there anything else i can do. i was am so frustated, i am even considering PA school all over again, but i don't really want too.

please guys give me some ideas. thanks
I am surprised how can you apply surgery with these low scores.and so many attempts.
First of all please understand the specilaity and scores requirement..Your's best bet would be PSYCH or Peds or FM...IM could be difficult...most of the community programs needs 80+ for IM or FM. Don't apply in those states where multiple attempts is an issue..like IL
step 1 is preclinical subjects. dont believe the bs
your best bet is psych.get observership and LOR in psych you will match US citizenship is in your favor.good luck
Don't loseyour hope. You need to be possitive about attempts.I known you are not proud of it but it's a reason behind it. probably you try to shy away from it during interview. failure is no always a bad thing. we all learn from our mistakes
i really want to do primary care - IM or FM. i honestly hate pshcy...no offend to those who are going into pschy. I applied to surger becasue i have 2 yrs of direct hands on experiences with over 1000 cases - trauma, ortho, gen surg, plastics, urology, ob/gyn, optho plus i had some great letters from the chief of the departments of plastics and ortho.

if i can't get surgery then i will settle with IM or FM. but what else can i do to improve my application for next yr.
then choose to do externship or observership in fmor im .you cant have extensive experience in surgery and expect im PD to take you serious while FM pPD will think your interest is surgery but applying to FM as back up.I will repeat your best bet is psych.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »