Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should i quit my job & study fulltime -plz reply - usmann76
I am sorry because KNOW IAM POSTING THIS FOR THE SECOND TIME, HOPING I WOULD GET SOME replies FROM YOU ALL. This is a serious decision that I have to make and I want to know what u all think

I am studying step 1 and I feel like quitting my Job and I need your advice.
This is my scenario;
1] I have money saved to manage for 2 years.
2] Iam a GREEN CARD holder.
3] Iam a RN,and MBA healthcare mgmt; so getting another job will not be a problem.
4] Iam working as a Manager making $100,000/ yr; so is it worth giving up on this Job for this residency risk
5] I am old grad as well 2001; if I take this risk what if I don™t get Residency?

Right now I am able to
-study only 3 hrs Monday thru Friday;
-10 hrs Saturday and Sunday.
-But if quit I can be done with it asap instead of dragging it like this.

IAM SO CONFUSED AND PLEASE ADVICE ON WHAT YOU WERE ME DO.

Thanks in advance.
you need not to quit. The steps are not that hard. If you study one hour/day you will make it.
My advice: study the first aid books. I scored > 95 in all my testsand I am an IMG. If I could, you can too...
good luck...
Like I said in my book, you should study 8 months almost everyday (10 hours) for step1 and 4-6 months for step 2.
If you have money saved, I recommend highly to quit your job and focus on studying. Exam scores remain the most important aspect of the application and you don't want to have any regret especially knowing that any failure stay in your records.

Dr. Rock
i beg to disagree w/ belibi. this is not to disrespect or anything but scores are not the most important part. good scores definitely help but this is not the sole predictor of your success. this is a combination of many factors. people have 70's and they match, some may have 99's and remain unmatched. also, the length of time of study is not important, what matters is the quality. no one can say for sure how much time should be devoted for study. we all know, the longer we take the less chance of getting a focused study. life can be unpredictable and full of distractions. if you devote a realistic time frame, you will have better chances of organizing and sticking to your plan.
My friend

If you read all my writing you will find that I am the first to say scores are not everything. I say scores are the most important aspect because some programs have cutoff and won't even read your application if your scores are not good. But then once they read your application. LORs, PS, CV have to be great.

Oh yeah, sorry, I was not clear when I wrote, but if you read the book, you will understand it clearly. Scores are important but not the whole thing.
I only say scores are important because it gives a chance for your application to be read by the residency committee.

Dr. Rock/Belibi
dont quit your job, they only think you have to know is that will spend more time to take the exam, if we can take the exam in 6 months maybe you will have to take it in one year, but you will take it and we the same resuts.
If you can afford it, QUIT. Step I is very difficult and thus is very time consuming. If you can study full time it will only help you in the long run.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »