Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 N J2 visa approved - doctor76
I got my J1 and J2 visa approved from the Chennai consulate a couple of days back. I should admit that it was a pretty smooth sailing. It lasted less than 2 minutes.
I had got an emergency appointment for 7 AM and the entire process was over by 8. 45 AM. I was asked only a few questions including
1. What speciality I was going for?
2.What speciality I was practicing in India?
3. If I have finished all the steps for ECFMG certification?
No questions aksed to my wife and no documents checked. The form dS 2019 was signed by the officer and given to me.
Congrats! what did they say when will u get ur passport back?
By early next week
doctor76, congratulations to you and your wife..
I had few Qs fo J2 visa..
is there a option to take the visa appointment together while taking dates ..
me and my spouse want to go for interview together.. I couldnt find in the visa website the option of taking the appointment together..going for mumbai consulate..
thanks
and for J2 did your wife take any specific docs..what did you mention in her DS 156 .. whether she wants to study /work in USA.. actually J2 is eligible for EAD but still what to write in ds 156..
thanks..
Hi peneapple,

Thank you very much.

When u apply for J2 simultaneously with J1, u actually go together. There is no option of taking appointment together. u r actually together . u submit the documents together at the same counter, ur documents will be processed together and ur interview will be done together at the same counter. u dont go seperately anywhere.Its only if ur applying seperately on different dates that u go seperately.

As regards DS 156, we entered no for both work and study, though we were a little worried what we would answer if they asked my wife what she intends to do?But luckily no questions were asked for my wife.We were thinking of saying that she may consider working at a later date if she gets the right kind of job.

My wife had carried with her the passport, visa application forms, DS 2019, copy of my DS 2019, marriage certificate, financial support documents from her Dad, copies of her marks card and degree certificates(she is a doctor too) and we carried the marriage album too. But as I said no questions were asked and no documents were checked. But make sure u have all the documnets mentioned in ther website.

All the best. It should be fine, dont worry.
thank you so much doctor76 for your detailed reply..
Sorry I still cannot get that appointment thing.. please tell me that in the VFS website as I am now filling the forms and taking appointment , where is the option for J2 ..
J2 will fill all the forms separately and take appointment together? how will we go together..
sorry I may be sounding silly...am confused..
yes my spouse is a doctor too and will be applying for residency this time.. therefore thinking wht to write.. you are fortunate doctor76 nothing was asked.. Smile
thanks..

Sorry for getting your name wrong in the previous post.

No problem, no doubt is silly till its settled.

Once you have filled the form DS156,157 and 158 along with the SEVIS fee details for both J1 and J2, you have to fix an appointment. This appointment is taken on your behalf. The J2 applicant is just tagged on to J1. There is no seperate appointment for J2. Its the J1 applicant who takes the appointment for both J1 and J2. Its most probably going to be an emergency appointment because the regular appointments will be closed. In the emergency appointment section, there will be provision for J visa applicants. You just take the available dates. The J2 applicant does not take any appointment. You go to the consulate together, say its J1 and J2 and they will guide you accordingly.As the name says, its a dependent visa for J2. The J2 applicant doesnt do anything on his/her own, except of course signing the 156,157,158 forms.Once u have taken the appointment the date,time and serial number of the interview will appear on both the J1 and J2 applicants appointment letter.

The work/study thing is a little tricky, but I feel they are not really going to bother about it.

Just let me know if things are clear.If not feel free to ask. u can email me at docsan76
Once again- there is no seperate appointment for J2. Its the J1 who takes the appointment and thats the appointment for J2. Its done automatically.
thank u so much once again doctor76, yes will mail you if any thing comes up ..
best wishes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »