Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Letter-Can ITIN be used instead of SSN? - amar
I dont have a SSN and can not get one on my H4 visa. I am eligible to get a ITIN though. If anyone can give some inputs about if it is possible to get California letter using ITIN in place of SSN, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Actually i tried to do with ITIN number ,so in frist place they said they would do it but later they didnt....atleast with itin number ur application process will be started and reach the end of the whole process,but they wudn issue ur letter...coz this whole process take 3-4 months,,,its better to start of ur process...
You mean, having ITIN would not help to get CA letter and I must have SSN? Can I get interviews from programs stating fact that I am eligible for letter (after application is processed) though wouldnt have the actual letter unless I get SSN ( which I'll have once program would sponsor H1B for me) ? Will this approach work?
The problem is your fingerprint processing. When you apply with ITIN to CA Medical board, they cannot tell the difference. So they collect your $500. Start the processing. Once the fingerprint report comes back from FBI, it shows all your record. It also shows that you do not have SSN and CA board reject your application.

In past CA-medical board used to issue a SSN-request-letter to those who could not get SSN. You could take that letter to SSN office and get a SSN. But after 9/11, starting 2004-2005 SSN office does NOT issue SSN based on any letter.

Most programs in CA require CA-letter before they invite you for interview. So program as for receipt. But NO ONE will rank you if you do not have SSN by February.
Basically you need a GC, or be on F1 or J1 visa already to get CA-letter.

Call CA board, if you want to verify this information. It is hard to talk to someone but if you get hold of someone then you can ask them.

Also make sure your Med-school is listed in CA-recognised-medical-schools-list. Otherwise, they will reject you after cashing your $500 check.
Thank you respi3 and yodedo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »