Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring surgeons....tell me ur take on this! - abcdvarun
i had 3 surgery calls.....bronx leb, harlem and university of florida jacksonville

i wanna rank all the 3 categoricals in the order UF, harlem and bronx and then the prelims

but what about the order of ranking the prelim positions.....UF prelim is a J1 and bronx and harlem are H1s....but obviously, UF is academically tons better than the other 2...

so what would you say? give importance to visa or program? (J1 is a risk in that if i dont match into a categorical position next year ill have to get out of US for the waiver)

what do u suggest?
rank UF prelim last........rest is at ur discretion
y? is it because u think the chances of conversion to categorical in UF are low or is it because of the J1 issue?

and the UF i was talking about is not the main UF in gainsville......this is a university affiliated community hosp located in jacksonville...
Hey, congrats on the interviews.

I'm planning on applying to GSurg next year, IMG from UK. Same boat as you, Non-U.S citizen.

If you don't mind, what kind of stats do you have? I'm looking at doing my electives in GSurg in the NYC area (Mt. Sinai/Bronx-Lebs/St.Barnabas).

Any suggestions?

Also, how many programs did you apply to?

I'm pretty adamant about doing Categorical surgery, don't want to do Pre-lim at all. So probably will do it on J1 visa.

Cheers,
@abcdvarun....yes, j1 visa being a prime factor whn u select prelims.....bol
J1 will b problematic if you do not match to categorical next year. If you take H1, you can go to J1 for categorical later, but J1 cannot be reversed to H1. Put J1 program last but do rank it bcoz there won't b any issue with a J1 if you do get a categorical position next yr.
Moreover, Univ affliated community hospital in Jacksonville is only going to be marginally better if at all than other programs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »