Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Discrepancy on NBME - cloudfly
I took the NBME and got 480 in the morning and 360 in the afternoon. This will be my 3rd time taking step 2 (73 both times). The first two times I didn't know about NBME and USMLEWORLD. Right now, I average about 59% on USMLEWORLD with about 400 questions left.

I don't know what to make of this big difference in score on NBME. Second part was indeed harder for me and it felt like the two times I failed the real test all over again. Maybe I started to panic and maybe I got tired in the afternoon?

I am scheduled to take the test in 10 days which leaves me 3 days to decide to postpone or not. Should I delay the test? This exam means the world to me because if I fail again, my med school will kick me out. Any suggestions is most appreciated! Thanks.
Cloudfly,

Yes, NBME 2 is harder and maybe this lowered your score in the afternoon, but the discrepancy is really big, I think. So, it is possible that you have a problem with the lenght of the test, it's possible that you cannot concentrate well enough towards the end. So, I would suggest to do more exam-like tests, I mean 8 UW blocks or so a day, just to get used with the length of the test. If I am right, maybe this is why you failed before and not because you didn't have the knowledge to pass, so it would be good to practice more.
GL
D
Well if were you I would postpone the exam. In a few weeks you can do a lot & at the end that doesn™t mean too much.

When you do q, do you chose the answer coz you know why that one could be right & why the wrongs ones aren™t or you just think that your option is probably the best one but still you aren't sure about the rest?
I think that for safe passing you should have that kind of knowledge for at least 60% of the qs.

I don™t think that he panic could be the reason coz than there would much higher difference between your UW & NBME scores.

You have already done so much I think you are able to go through each subject from Kaplan in a day or two. I™ve found there more than 70% of the answers on UW™s qs. Try to go through each subject there, or just your weak fields, than repeat that 1 or 2x more & than do 1 block of the qs just from that subject to see did you gain more confidence. If that works do the same for each subject. I don™t think that you need more than 2 weeks 4 that. Latter do 2-3 blocks a day, mixed qs time mode, & continue with quicker revising your weak field(from Kaplan™s). In about 4 weeks you'll get much better results (above 450 on any nbme, what almost guarantee you passing score).
Wish you all the best & 99 on your exam!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »