Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one can help me with this NBME q - abas
2 yr old biy has fever and cough for 2 days. Had strep pnenomonia meningitis at 1 yr old, str pneun bacteremia at 18 months and pneunomonia at 22 mo's. 2 maternal uncles died before 2 yrs old from "infection". Temp is 39.8, pulse 150, and respiration 60/min. Exam shows subcostal etractions on inspiration.
Lab results:

hemoglobin 10g/dl
leukocyte count 36000/mm3
...segmented neutrophils 70%
...bands 20%
...lymphocytes 8%
... monocytres 2%

platelet count 240,000/mm3
serum
... igA < 5mg/dL
... igG 30mg/dL
... igM <5mg/dL

chest Xray shows an infiltrate of the left upper lobe. what is appropriate mgmt?

1. re-exam in 12 wks
2. prednisone therapy only
3. prednisone, vincristine, doxorubicin, asparaginase, and methotrexate therpy
4. zidovudine (AZT) lamivudine (3TC) and ritonavit therapy
5. intravenous immunoglobulin infusion
6. bone marrow transplant
7. thymus transplant

hi abas,
I hope u undersatnd that most of the step2 ck takers consider NBME assessment to review their prep before the exam....by posting questions and by discussing answers we might undermine the very usefulness of the NBME forms.....I think it is in the interest of evry ck taker to avoid posting questions from NBME forms.
I think it is a very reasonable request....
chil
I think Simonsez is right. Many forum members have posted questions before from nmbe I have not yet subscribed for nmbe, but I am already conversant with the questions. The objective of the test is defeated in my case. I don't think it is worth subscribing for. I cannot evaluate my preparedness by that.
Agree with you guys but Abas was pretty fair coz you could see from the title of his q the source of it & just skip it.

I think the answer is #5.
Child probably has Bruton™s agammaglobulinemia. X-rec. dis (occurs in boys). The cause is defect in tyrosine kinase gene due to that defect there will be block in maturation of pre-B to B cells, so it will manifest with low levels of all classes of Igs.
Sx occurs after the age of 6 months (when the maternal Igs are lost).
to simonsez & ajubaju
Dear
i put in the subject that this is NBME q so i alert everyone about it so nobody tells to open it and read the q, i said any one can help me and explain this nbme q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »