Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Please I need HONEST ANSWERS - amer_nass
I am a 2008 IMG.
Step 1 - 95
Step 2 - 90
No step three and nothing else really.
What are my odds of getting into 2011 Internal Medicine Residency
I'd say pretty good, if you interview well. I'm sure you'll get interviews with these scores. What you do with those interviews is up to your charisma, your intellect, your wit, and some luck of the draw. Do something in the meantime. You seem like a smart guy that tests well; maybe start studying for the step 3. Also when you apply to programs, make sure you check the preliminary positions too, just in case they want to give you a year to prove yourself. And don't forget to apply for family medicine too. OKidoki goodluck amer_nass, if wish I could help out more.
by the way i'm not an American Resident (i dont have a passport or a green card), but i doubt getting a visa would be a problem.
Would this affect my chances of getting an internal medicine residency in a good place?
Ofcourse visas are kind of a pain for programs; that's probably one of the main reasons why it's so hard for IMGs to get residencies. But I don't think it will keep you from interviews with the scores you have. When you get those interviews, try your best to shine. Really practice for the interviews as though you'd practice for a board exam, and please, please, please, please, don't sound formulated. Sound free-thinking and pleasant. No arrogance. I can't tell you if you will match in "a good place" or not, but you have done the best you could up until now. Keep yourself busy until Match season starts in Sept. and have your stuff confirmed and posted by optimally by august.
Is research mandatory to get into residency or do grades matter the most since i'm IMG
do you have your ECFMG certificate ?
it's really important to have it by the time you apply
You HAVE 2 HAVE some USCE .....a lot of programs want this ...without that you will have trouble getting into the residency.

research is not mandatory at all....but it helps....
You HAVE 2 HAVE some USCE .....a lot of programs want this ...without that you will have trouble getting into the residency.

research is not mandatory at all....but it helps....
hey can anyone tell me wts this preliminary thing.thanks alot.gl
@amer

In continuation to my previous responses to your previous posts,
since you are IMG needing H1 /J1 visa , and you dont seem to have USCE, I would suggest to get USCE.
By the time programs start giving out interviews it would begin late sep/ early Oct.
So you see that you can put some USCE by Sep1 (cos most programs prefer atleast 3 months USCE )and once you put your application give your STEP 3 by Mid OCT .But you need very good planning to balance everything.

You need to have something to talk with PD apart from your scores too.That would be USCE from a good pvt practioner or community/Univ program.
All my 1 year USCE from good pvt practioners.No PD asked why I did not rotate in any Univ/Community hospital.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »