Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 2 block 3.. i'm confused with this! - calidoc4u
A 32-year-old woman comes to the physician because of¨a 4-month history of fatigue, cough, and shortness of breath with¨exertion. She has had two episodes of pneumonia and one episode of severe¨sinusitis over the past 2 years. She has never smoked. She takes no¨medications. Crackles are heard at the left lung base. An x-ray¨film of the chest shows a left lower lobe infiltrate and scarring of the right¨base.¨

For each patient with cough, select the most¨appropriate next step in ¨diagnosis.¨

¨A) Measurement of serum a1-antitrypsin level¨

¨B) Methacholine challenge test¨¨

C) Quantitative measurement of serum antibody levels¨

¨D) Sweat chloride test¨

¨E) Ventilation-perfusion lung scans¨

i thought a or d. but she is old. and key says C???!!! How so? IgA deficieny??
hi,
can't be A, they would of thrown that parents had a family history as it is AR, plus alfa 1 antitrypsin afects both apices of the lungs plus cirrosis.

Can't be D, like A, family history and other features of CF.

Not sure what she has, but considering the history of multiple infections choice C is the nicest one to pick.
hi,
can't be A, they would of thrown that parents had a family history as it is AR, plus alfa 1 antitrypsin affects both apices of the lungs plus cirrhosis.

Can't be D, like A, family history and other features of CF.

Not sure what she has, but considering the history of multiple infections choice C is the nicest one to pick.
sorry, typo, it affects the lung bases
C look for CVID which has delayed onset
i got this from previous discussion for the same q
thanks guys. the way u ruled it out neuro makes alot of sense
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »