Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 6 (4) - cosmos123
Q.

An investigator has designed a drug that is transported into the cell through a membrane channel and remains isolated in the cytoplasm. This drug will most likely directly influence which of the following cellular processes?

A) DNA transcription
B) Electron transport
C) Glycolysis
D) Protein folding
E) Transcription factor binding

C- glycosysis
Can you explain? Thanks.
isn't that all of these takes place in the nucl. except glycolysis..??
I agree with usmlewriter and futuredoctor19...the answer is GLycolysis...here is my understanding

--First let us see the chemical characteristics of the experimental drug

--the drug is transported into the cell through a membrane channel(keep in mind it is not simple diffusion)...this makes the drug water solouble ....NOT LIPID SOLUBLE

---Because the drug is WATER NOT LIPID soluble it s not able to cross membrane bound ORGANELLES in the cytoplasm...example Mitochondria and ER and also Golgi apparatus

--But because the drug is WATER soluble it stays in the CYTOPLASM freely...Can react with the enzymes of GLYCOLYSIS(occurs exclusively in the cytoplasm).....hence affects Glycolysis

--To affect DNA transcription...the drug should be LIPID SOLUBLE...nuclear membrane is lipid bilayer
--To affect Electron transport..the drug should be LIPID SOLUBLE...The outer mitochondrial membrane, which encloses the entire organelle, has a protein-to-phospholipid ratio similar to that of the eukaryotic plasma membrane...

--To affect Protein folding ...the drug should be LIPID SOLUBLE...The phospholipid membrane encloses a space of the Endoplasmic reticulum

--To affect Transcription factor binding...the drug should be LIPID SOLUBLE...nuclear membrane is lipid bilayer

It's a tricky question, but now I got.

Thanks, futuredoctor19, usmlewriter, and yeabiruh!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »